Volunteer and Event Management
Supervisor: Kellie Martin, Assistant Volunteer Coordinator
Term: Fall / Winter/ Spring / Summer
Full Time and Part Time positions available; flexible scheduling
Compensation: Unpaid | May be for academic credit, career exploration, or service learning
Applicants are welcome to check with their Career Center for possible funding
sources from their college or university.
Mission Statement of WaterFire Providence:
WaterFire Providence® is an independent, 501(c)3 non-profit arts organization whose mission is to inspire Providence and its visitors by revitalizing the urban experience, fostering community engagement and creatively transforming the city by presenting WaterFire for all to enjoy and curating world-class art experiences at the WaterFire Arts Center.
WaterFire seeks a highly motivated, self-starting student who is energetic, a team player, results-oriented and dedicated to the achievement of personal and team goals. The intern will provide support to the Volunteer Resources Manager and gain valuable skills and insights into non-profit volunteer recruitment and engagement. The intern will also have the opportunity to participate in organizing special events that enrich the culture and knowledge of volunteers, network with local businesses and community groups, and assist in planning and executing volunteer socials.
WaterFire is a seasonal event and responsibilities will vary accordingly per the discretion of WaterFire Providence administration.
- Assist with recruiting volunteers, both individuals and groups, from local corporate, educational, social, and recreational organizations
- Research and develop a database of new volunteer groups and individuals
- Assist with the execution of events, including coordinating supplies, event set-up, and leadership of volunteer groups
- Assist with managing orientation and training initiatives for volunteers
- Organize and prepare event materials and communications including newsletters, email blasts, social media, phone calls, etc.
- Manage volunteer inquiries and registrations
- Assist in planning and executing volunteer socials
- Tend to errand running and shopping activities related to events and volunteers
- Manage small volunteer groups to complete tasks and projects related to event production
- Assist WaterFire Providence staff as needed with respect to event production and organization’s needs
- Proven leadership and organizational skills
- Excellent communication (oral and written) skills and the ability to excel at details, multitasking, and working under deadlines
- Outgoing self-starter but, collaborates well in a team environment; Customer-service approach
- Previous experience with volunteer organizing, customer service, or event coordination are a plus
- Must be available to work all WaterFire Lightings throughout the duration of the internship
- Must have a genuine interest in art, culture and community, and WaterFire
- A sense of humor and positive outlook
- Ability to lift at least 25 lbs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and have access to a car
To apply please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please make sure to specify the term you are applying for.
For more information on WaterFire Providence, visit www.waterfire.org.