Senior Manager of Strategic Communications
Marketing, Communications and Publications
Job Title: Senior Manager of Strategic Communications
Location: Ashburn, VA – Remote Work Available
Salary Range: $75,168 – $88,433
The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) is the leading not-for-profit organization dedicated to building strong, vibrant and resilient communities through the power of parks and recreation. With more than 60,000 members, NRPA advances this mission by investing in and championing the work of park and recreation professionals and advocates — the catalysts for positive change in service of equity, climate-readiness, and overall health and well-being. For more information, visit www.nrpa.org. For digital access to NRPA’s flagship publication, Parks & Recreation, visit www.parksandrecreation.org.
The Senior Manager of Strategic Communications creates and implements strategies aimed at elevating the profile of NRPA among the public and important external audiences. The Senior Manager also contributes to strategic communications campaigns that elevate the field of parks and recreation and advance program and policy goals. This position works closely with the VP of Communications/CMO and NRPA colleagues to ensure NRPA’s brand voice and mission are clearly understood and represented.
Responsibilities and Duties:
· Identify strategic media outlets, events, distribution channels, platforms and influencers to target for strategic placement of core NRPA messages, publications and appearances.
- Through strategic communications outreach, position NRPA as the principal thought leading organization in the field of parks and recreation, but also in NRPA’s Three Pillars and our ongoing practice in Health and Wellness, Equity (at the center) and Conservation.
- Plan and execute NRPA’s media and public relations efforts, including managing media contacts and pitching content, stories and speakers.
- Promote research, executive speaker engagements, education, editorial content, videos, podcasts, partner programs and any other developments to the public and media, in alignment with strategic opportunities that maximize impact with key target audiences.
- Contribute to the development and execution of public awareness campaigns aimed at elevating NRPA’s profile and advancing key program and policy goals.
- Map the direction of graphics and production needed for press events and special film and photo sessions. Tracks and then reports on outcome.
- Understand and balance outreach to traditional media outlets and emerging media and technologies to maximize impact of time and resources.
- Contribute to NRPA’s Strategic Plan ensuring consistent and aligned messaging flows across all channels and upholds communications and brand standards across the organization.
- Field media inquiries, provide media training for NRPA staff and serve as liaison, as needed, for staff media opportunities.
- Maintain currency with new media and industry trends, and brings necessary knowledge, skills, training, and opportunities back to NRPA.
- Directs interns, freelancers, and outside consultants, as needed.
- Manage the department’s public relations budget.
· Collaborate with the communications and marketing team to works with NRPA staff across departments to move NRPA’s brand and key messages forward.
· A dedication to NRPA’s core belief that equity is at the center of all our work.
- 5+ years of demonstrated successful experience in Public Relations/Media Relations required.
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, marketing, public relations or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Demonstrated budget planning and management experience.
- Ability to champion ideas, build consensus, and listen to others.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to motivate others.
- Understanding of emerging and unconventional media channels
- Demonstrated skill draw relevant connections between an organization’s mission and work and current trends and public concerns.
- Willingness to experiment with new tactics, measure, learn and improve upon efforts.
- Capacity to remain calm, thoroughly evaluate situations, and create response plans under pressure.
- A dynamic personality, with the skill to evoke excitement and enthusiasm in others.
- Ability to put strategy into action to advance long-term, successful outcomes.
Required Materials and Application Process: Applicants without the following required materials may not be considered for this position:
- Cover Letter detailing your background and description how your experience and education would make you a successful candidate for this position (limit 2 pages).
Applicants will first be evaluated on the completeness and qualifications of application materials. Qualified applicants will then be invited for a phone screen and selected applicants will be invited to a Zoom interview. Finalists will be required to submit references for a reference and background check.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all qualified applicants.
NRPA values diversity, equity and inclusion and we are committed to integrating these core values more deeply into all elements of our daily work. NRPA is an equal opportunity employer and highly encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, ethnic minorities, new Americans (immigrants and refugees), LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, native people, and veterans.
Discover the Benefits at NRPA!
To promote healthy lifestyles, at work and away, we have established programs like Teleworking, FlexTime Schedules, 37.5-hour workweek, Employee Assistance Programs, Educational Assistance Programs, Lunch-and-Learn sessions, and more. NRPA also offers a competitive Heath benefits package, generous PTO program where employees accrue 26 days of paid time per year, parental leave, and retirement and savings benefits.