In-Building Substitute Teacher
JOB DESCRIPTION: IN-BUILDING SUBSTITUTE TEACHER
ABOUT BART CHARTER PUBLIC SCHOOL
Berkshire Arts & Technology Charter Public School (“BART”) is a nationally recognized, award-winning, college-preparatory, public middle and high school located in Adams, Massachusetts. As the only charter school in Berkshire County, it is consistently ranked among the top schools in Massachusetts for student academic achievement and growth.
Committed to preparing its students for college and a lifetime of learning, BART is a community of nearly 400 curious and creative students, devoted and innovative teachers and staff members, and families dedicated to the success of their children. The student body is diverse, each member with an important personal story. The School is built around a central makerspace, and its academic program comprises an intense academic core curriculum enriched by elective courses in the arts and technology. Students have numerous opportunities to pursue independent creative and scholarly projects. Before they graduate, BART students must pass college courses, take and pass collegiate-skills courses each year, complete an internship within the region, and participate in a rigorous program of mock interviews, portfolio presentations, and annual science fairs.
The success enjoyed by BART’s students and the School as a whole results from a school culture characterized by the pursuit of excellence and based on a set of foundational elements:
- A liberating, college-preparatory, academic environment that provides for students and employees alike intellectual challenge, professional development and exploration, and personal growth;
- Dedication to the education of the whole child that supports the child’s intellectual, emotional, social, and physical maturation;
- A school that embodies the best of contemporary educational knowledge, thought, and practices, including a reliance on data-driven teaching and learning in support of advancing student achievement;
- A vibrant, inclusive school that embraces diversity and individuality yet shines by the devotion of students, faculty and staff, and families to their BART and home communities;
- An educational experience that brings the world into BART and BART into the world; and
- A strong, resilient, and multi-element financial base from which resources enable students’ academic success and professional distinction and employees’ professional development and refinement.
We are seeking individuals who are passionate about educating all students to succeed in college and who want to contribute to a dynamic school environment that has a strong record of academic success.
This position is an in-building substitute to be available full-time for a variety of substitute teaching needs that will arise.
BART teachers must be skillful educators, and:
- Welcome the challenge of being a teacher in an organization committed to excellence;
- Believe that data-driven instruction is a powerful way to educate students;
- Recognize that objective assessments of student performance are important tools that must be used in concert with deep, analytical thinking assignments to assess student understanding;
- Excel in facilitating mixed-ability learning environments;
- Demonstrate depth of content knowledge and pedagogical skills in their field;
- Model themselves as continuous learners to students, parents, peers and supervisors;
- Collaborate effectively with others on curriculum, instruction and assessment;
- Believe in creating a consistent environment throughout the school for discipline, classroom management and classroom routines.
- Commitment to the success of all children.
- BA required
- A team player with a growth mindset and a sense of humor.
Please email a resume, cover letter and three references to email@example.com addressed to Executive Director, Dr. James White, specifying for which position you are applying. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
BART Charter Public School is an equal opportunity employer. BART does not discriminate in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its services, programs or activities, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, homelessness or age.
For more information about BART and its programs, please visit www.bartcharter.org.