Actuarial Development Program Associate
Hiring for Roles Starting Spring 2022!
The Actuarial Development Program (ADP) at Unum has been in existence for over 40 years, and provided guidance and support to hundreds of actuaries early in their careers. Many have built on the foundation provided by the ADP and grown into executive leaders at Unum and across the insurance industry.
Unum's ADP is built around three key elements:
◦Targeted development of actuarial, financial and leadership skills
◦Rotational work assignments to promote broad business awareness
- Comprehensive exam support towards the pursuit of Fellowship. Each ADP participant has a unique development plan based on their own abilities, experience and career aspirations. Development opportunities are offered in forums including on-the-job training, classroom training, leadership programs, and speaker series. In addition, all ADP participants have frequent interaction with corporate officers.
- Roughly every 18 months, ADP participants rotate to a new area of the business to learn a new product or discipline, gain new perspectives, and continue their development as actuaries. Traditional actuarial rotations take place in areas such as pricing, reserve valuation, and claims risk analysis, but some rotations extend well beyond traditional financial roles.
- Unum expects ADP participants to make consistent progress towards Fellowship. The exam process is rigorous, and Unum recognizes this by providing significant assistance and rewards to reflect the commitment required. Our Actuarial Education Program provides company-paid study time, covers the cost of textbooks, study guides, preparatory seminars, and exam fees, and offers generous salary increases for each exam passed.
What We Look for in ADP Candidates
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Math, Actuarial Science, Finance or a related quantitative area with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Completion of one actuarial exam and commitment to achieving Fellowship
- Creative problem-solving ability
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Practical experience with a programming language or statistical software
- Previous analytical work experience preferred
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
- This is generally an entry-level position; however incumbent may have some relevant work experience. The work will require the review of a senior actuary. This position provides technical support to the actuarial staff as assigned by the manager. Employees in this position will have passed at least one Society of Actuaries exam and will be committed to attaining Fellowship. There are no direct reports associated with this position.
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.