Assistant Engineer/Engineer Trainee
New York State has some of the most extensive, heavily used transportation infrastructure in the world, and the work we do at the State Department of Transportation affects millions of people every day. You could work in one of our diverse programs, gaining experience on complex projects in the industries of Design, Construction, Traffic Engineering, Structures or Transportation Maintenance.
If your goal is to acquire your Professional Engineer’s License, you could obtain qualifying experience for the exam by working with NYSDOT!
The online application process consists of submitting a questionnaire via the NYS Department of Civil Service regarding education, certification, licensure, and experience. Job seekers are encouraged to apply for any exam for which they qualify:
- Engineer Trainee (Civil) exam #20-416
- Engineer Trainee (Civil/Transportation) exam # 20-420
- Assistant Engineer (Civil) exam 20-428
- Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation) exam # 20-432
Apply Online in Four Simple Steps
- Visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/engineering/oc/ and select Start Application Process.
- Select Civil AND Civil/Transportation for each position.
- Be sure to choose the Department of Transportation as an agency.
- Complete the questionnaire and click submit.
Questions? Contact our Recruitment Coordinator at Recruitment@dot.ny.gov.