Accounting Intern (Summer 2022)
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum also has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, - and over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
Looking for individuals to bring their curiosity and individuality to Unum, where you'll develop professional skills and receive hands-on experience that will help you grow both personally and professionally. During this internship, you’ll have the opportunity to work alongside mentors and professionals who rank amongst the best in their fields.
You will join a team where your manager or team leader will assign you meaningful, challenging project work that culminates in an end-of-summer presentation to key business leaders. Your projects will require you to work independently as well as within teams. This internship is designed to provide exposure to the field of accounting and finance as a career. Our Accounting & Finance initiatives cover a spectrum of business groups under our Chief Financial Officer that are vital to the organization’s strategy and operational success. These groups include, but are not limited to: Accounting, Financial & Regulatory Reporting, Financial Planning & Analysis, Tax, Internal Audit and Treasury.
- Work for the leader in the disability-based employee benefits marketplace & in a professional office setting
- Contribute to meaningful project work that will leave a lasting impact on the business
- Learn about departmental & corporate functions
- Attend weekly information sessions & networking opportunities with senior leaders across enterprise locations
- Take part in social & community service activities with fellow interns
- Join an Employee Network and work with the Office of Inclusion & Diversity to help advance Unum's inclusion journey and represent the full spectrum of what makes us unique
- Earn college credit for your internship. (Faculty/Hiring Manager pre-approvals are required)
- This program is a key pipeline for Unum's Accounting & Finance Leadership Program as well as other full-time opportunities. Top summer interns may be eligible to receive full time offers to join the team following the successful completion of their degree
- The internship program starts in early June 2022 and will last 10-12 weeks
- Housing is not provided. Unum provides a lump-sum relocation bonus to help with costs for the summer and will provide guidance on housing opportunities used by interns in the past
- Chattanooga, TN
- Candidate must be enrolled in an accredited college degree program
- Required overall GPA of 3.0
- Sophomore, Junior, or Senior pursuing a degree in accounting or a finance-related degree with the intention to complete the course credits to be eligible to sit for the CPA certification
- Applied leadership skills
- Desire to pursue CPA
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.