22-23 Elementary Teacher (Nashville)
At Rocketship Public Schools, we believe in the infinite possibility of human potential. We believe that every student deserves the right to dream, to discover, and to develop their unique potential. And it is our responsibility and our privilege to unleash the potential inside every Rocketeer we serve. Our non-profit network of public elementary charter schools propels student achievement, develops exceptional educators, and partners with parents who enable high-quality public schools to thrive in their community. We are a collective of parents, teachers, leaders, and students working together to transform the future for underserved communities across our country. At Rocketship Public Schools, we are unleashing potential.
Our elementary teachers are subject experts who specialize in either Humanities or STEM. Content specialization allows teachers to develop much deeper expertise in their subject matter, and creates a collaborative teacher team as they develop lesson plans alongside other talented teachers. Every school is supported by school leaders who provide professional development and real-time coaching for teachers in their classroom every single week. Just as our teachers invest their time and energy in the progress of their students, we invest our time and energy in the progress of our teachers.
Rocketship's collaborative learning environment reaches well beyond the classroom. We are deeply committed to parent engagement. Teachers new to our network are always impressed by how deeply our Rocketeer parents are engaged in their school's community. Annual teacher home visits, monthly parent community meetings, and a vibrant parent volunteer network create solid relationships, a rich school culture and a devoted community that propels student achievement.
At Rocketship, you are joining a network and a community committed to excellence. If you are looking for the chance to drive transformative change in underserved communities and contribute to a national movement to eliminate the achievement gap in our lifetime, look no further than Rocketship. We have ambitious plans to scale our system to serve more communities in need every year. We prioritize developing leaders from within and have invested in multiple career pathway programs for our teachers and school leaders.
- Build a classroom culture of excellence and deliver rigorous instruction by building content expertise in humanities or STEM that is captured in units of study and daily plans.
- Engage in cycles of data driven instruction to inform planning and personalize instruction to student needs.
- Collaborate with special education staff so students identified as needing extra support are meaningfully included.
- Student and Parent Partnership:
- Partner with all students and families through frequent communication, building trusting relationships, and embracing the knowledge parents have as their child's first teacher.
- Build authentic relationships with families beginning with home visits that form the foundation for frequent ongoing communications to support student success.
- Engage with families on academic and behavioral goals and transparently share student progress so that both parents and teachers own each child's successes and challenges.
- Rocketship Professional Culture:
- Commit to doing and being their best, and to growing their skills as professionals and as individuals
- Attend all professional development meetings and opportunities that may exceed the regular school day hours of 7:45a-4:00p
- Urgently and courageously takes actions in the best interest of students, even if they are new or unfamiliar
- Meet all professional obligations and proactively communicate when changes come up
- Exhibit a high level of honest and humble self-reflection owning good and bad outcomes
- Effectively respond to and implement constructive feedback
- Communicate effectively with colleagues and contribute to positive staff culture
- Collaborate with all staff members to ensure that all students have consistent and well-coordinated support
- Bachelor's degree
- All Rocketship teachers must have a valid teaching credential or enroll in an accredited credentialing program during their first year at Rocketship. Rocketship will partner with all teachers who need to transfer an out-of-state credential or enroll in a program
- Preferred: Prior experience in urban education
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and communicate with both adults and children. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally climb ladders. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus excellent health and welfare benefits, 403b retirement plan, flexible spending account (FSA), and generous paid time off.