Manager of Research & Data Services
The Manager of Research & Data Services leads the advancement of research and data services in support of the mission of the Harvard Kennedy School (HKS). Reporting to and working closely with the Executive Director, the Manager of Research & Data Services informs and aligns priorities, goals, and objectives for programs they lead as part of the department’s strategic plan. Programs within the Manager of Research & Data Services portfolio include research data management & data safety, research software support, research computing relationships, assessment and deployment of research librarian consultations, oversight of data literacy and support programming for students, research information management support, and data procurement and open access/open data initiatives. This position also supports appropriate reference questions, consultations, and instruction.
This is an exempt position in Library & Knowledge Services (LKS).
Within LKS, we value continual learning. The Manager of Research & Data Services will be expected to continually pursue new areas for learning related to this role and use newly gained skills and knowledge on the job. The Manager of Research & Data Services will also encourage and support this learning for other members of LKS.
HKS, including LKS, is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community of staff, faculty, and students. This position will work toward building such a community and foster an inclusive environment in LKS (for colleagues and library patrons) that values and prioritizes diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Establishes and leads a research data management (RDM) program at HKS, supported by the research and data services team. Evolves the program to support changing needs of researchers and affiliated staff. RDM will focus on supporting the lifecycle of data from acquisition and/or creation of data through the dissemination and preservation, inclusive of curation, management, and analysis. Data onboarding/offboarding training and data management plan consultation with researchers will be a critical deliverable of this program. Supports the Data Steward Program led by the School Security Officer.
• Develops strong relationships with faculty, research centers, IT, the Research Administration Office, Office of Communications and Public Affairs, and other research affiliated staff.
• Leads LKS research communications and dissemination services and initiatives and the research and data services team. Progresses established initiatives and advances new services and resources, developing strong relationships with research communication staff across HKS.
• Manages the research & data services team: coaching, mentoring and developing staff, including overseeing new employee onboarding and providing career development planning and opportunities.
• Administer, with the Executive Director and other managers, high quality, user-centered library and research services.
• Evaluates data and research resources with Manager of Collections & Library Services, rationalizing collection development strategy and budget.
• Leads with the Manager of Collections & Library Services multifaceted internal communication efforts to promote awareness and discovery of library managed resources and services.
• Fosters a spirit of teamwork and unity among the department that allows for disagreement over ideas and the appreciation of diversity as well as cohesiveness, support, and working effectively together to enable each employee and the department to succeed in our efforts to support the HKS community and mission.
Qualifications: Bachelor's degree and at least 5 years of professional experience in research data management, analytics, or data services in a research organization. Experience managing professional staff.
Master's degree and at least 3 years of professional experience in research data management, analytics, or data services in a research organization. Experience managing professional staff.