Alphataraxia Management is a fast-growing quantitative investment management group with offices in both Washington, D.C. and Newport Beach, CA. We specialize in wholesale electricity markets, where extreme volatility is the norm – and the marketplace is constantly evolving, presenting new opportunities for growth and insight. We are currently one of the top participants in this niche space and are looking for hard-working candidates with genuine enthusiasm for solving complex problems to join our collaborative and high-caliber team.
We are hiring a Data Engineer to join our team! You will excel in this role if you have a penchant for problem solving, understanding data ecosystems, and building systems that can help expedite complex analysis and guide us to solve challenging problems in today's power markets.
This position is primarily responsible for building the data infrastructure necessary for investment transactions in both new and existing spaces. This role requires developing a deep understanding of new and existing data streams, as you make recommendations to the firm on longer term tool buildout and work closely with investment analysts to keep the data flowing needed to process short term investment decisions. Other responsibilities may include working with our underlying cloud infrastructure and building internal tools and workflows that allow better consumption of this data.
At Alphataraxia, we leverage our data ecosystem to transact on the best data available. As a Data Engineer, your work in building out critical data infrastructure and advancing our data capabilities will be central to our investment process. You will work alongside our investment teams to develop the systems and processes to extract, clean, and store the millions of rows of information that will ultimately advise our trading efforts.
- An ability to grapple with quantitative concepts and systems, as this role interfaces with largely technical and quantitative peers
- Comfort working both individually as well as collaboratively, at times in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Willingness to dive deeply into the details of a problem and fix necessary issues
- Either a strong academic record with highly quantitative classes for recent graduates or quantitative job experience
- Coding experience: exposure to computer science projects, highly technical coursework, or work experience
- Genuine enthusiasm for solving complex problems
- Excellent communication skills and team focused mentality
- We prize the ability and interest in learning more than knowledge of a specific programming language. Therefore, we list some programming languages we use below, which may help you hit the ground running when you join us:
- Python, PHP, SQL experience is a plus, but not required
- An interest to learn about energy and electricity markets — though no prior power market experience is required
Responsibilities in this role include
- Building out proprietary systems that are the backbone of our business in trading speculative wholesale power contracts and hedging out risk in our existing portfolios
- Defining goals for data management and strategizing how to use data resources most effectively
- Design, build, and maintain critical tools and processes used to transact in energy markets
- Ensure robust data handling data of new and existing resources
- Collaborate closely with Power Market Analysts and Investment Analysts on your team to deliver needed tools and improve existing infrastructure
- Collaborate with Data Engineers from other teams to ensure firm-wide continuity and efficiency
- Note: if you are incredibly interested in the financial transactions side of this role, see our Power Market Analyst position
A little more about us
- We play with vast amounts of data and turn our findings into actionable trading decisions.
- We try to explain how things work both fundamentally and quantitatively.
- We build all our own proprietary tools, enabling us to prototype, iterate quickly, and pivot when necessary.
- We automate as many redundant processes as possible to maximize time spent on analysis.
- We move quickly with minimal bureaucracy and a high level of ownership.
- We have a team-first mindset, and focus on developing our team members.
- We believe strongly in the value of maintaining a variety of perspectives and experiences within our team.
- We work in a collaborative, casual environment, yet also expect high throughput from each member of our team.
- We pride ourselves on our openness, transparency, and horizontal structure--across the firm, we all work closely together to tackle difficult problems.
We strive to offer best-in-class compensation and benefits alongside an unrivaled work-life balance.
- $100,000 - $140,000 annual salary, commensurate with experience
- Annual discretionary bonus
- 19 paid vacation days + 7 paid federal holidays
- Casual environment (informal attire)
- 401k matching
- Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance (including HSA option)
- Annual firmwide weeklong summit
- Snacks and unlimited coffee in the office
- Firm sponsored social events including happy hours, lunches, book club, and more!
- Flexible remote work option Thanksgiving through New Years
We want to find the right people for the right seats. If you could see yourself excelling in this position, we encourage you to apply. To get a jump start and impress us early, we recommend you submit a cover letter detailing why you are interested in this role. If you are a recent university graduate (within the past 3 years), please also submit any undergraduate and graduate transcripts. Please email careers [@] alphataraxia.com with any additional materials or questions.