Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
Opportunity for a post-doctoral candidate to conduct independent research, under co-mentorship of Harvard Medical School and Brown University faculty, in several ongoing large cohort studies. This is an ideal opportunity for independent research using state-of-the-art outcome measures under the mentorship of renowned senior investigators. PhD or MD required with an academic background in geriatric medicine, internal medicine, gerontology, psychiatry, neurology, neuropsychology, cognitive disorders, or epidemiology. The fellow will be involved in developing analytic tools, conducting analysis, and preparing manuscripts. Candidates should have prior training in epidemiological and biostatistical techniques. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required to interact with a large research team including senior scientists, data managers, and biostatisticians.
Opportunity to apply to the Harvard Translational Research in Aging program (T32)
Harvard Translational Research in Aging Training Program | Hinda and Arthur Marcus Institute for Aging Research
Will be part of the Network for Investigation of Delirium: Unifying Scientists (NIDUS): https://deliriumnetwork.org/
II. Core Competencies:
· Communication: Absorbs, comprehends and exchanges information with others, enhancing mutual understanding of ideas, issues and desired action.
· Teamwork and Collaboration: Works effectively within a team, group and across the organization and accomplishes tasks and desired results while behaving constructively as opposed to separately and competitively.
· Results Orientation: Focuses on delivering superior performance by setting and achieving stretch goals.
III. Position Responsibilities:
- Conduct independent research in the epidemiology of cognitive disorders of aging, including delirium and dementia.
- Plan, design and implement projects in conjunction with mentors and other collaborators, as appropriate.
- Take lead on interpretation of research results and writing papers for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Collaborate with colleagues and participate in team meetings and Center group activities.
- Present work at internal and external seminars and national/international conferences.
- Contribute to identifying potential funding sources and making applications to support future research funding.
- Lead or participate in the supervision and training of junior research staff, postgraduate students, and/or technical staff.
- Establish and maintain an expert reputation and track record of publications in field/discipline.
- Contribute to the development of new ideas or approaches supportive of the Center’s mission to elucidate mechanisms and develop and test strategies for the prevention or abatement of delirium, dementia, and other cognitive brain disorders related to aging.
- The above covers the most significant responsibilities of the position. It does not, however, exclude other duties, which would be in conformity with the level of the position. Completes special projects as assigned.
· MD or PhD degree received within the last 5 years
· Strong academic background in in geriatric medicine, internal medicine, gerontology, psychiatry, neurology, neuropsychology, cognitive disorders, or epidemiology.
· Knowledge of quantitative methods in epidemiology
· Some prior research experience
- Computer literacy required (e.g., Windows, Word, Excel).
· Knowledge and experience with a general purpose statistical software package (e.g., R, Stata, SAS, SPSS) required
- Must be professional, proactive, collaborative, conscientious and results-oriented
- Must have an optimistic and positive demeanor, excellent oral and written communication skills, good intuition and able to adapt to changing priorities.
- Must have solid analytical skills
- Must have superb organizational skills
- Must be creative and proactive yet disciplined, discriminating and able to streamline work volume in order to maintain bottom line efforts in midst of multi-tasking and daily re-prioritizing.
- Must have ability to innovate, think strategically and conceptually, manage multiple projects simultaneously and handle difficult situations.
- Must be motivated to learn and flexible to change.
V Physical Requirements
- Must be able to lift, pull, and pushing 50 (fifty) pounds.