Research Technician II
If interested in this opportunity, please visit www.mghcareers.org and apply for JOB ID# 3193105
Job Link: https://partners.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=3193105&lang=en
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Xavier lab is looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated individual to join a multidisciplinary team focused on understanding the biological mechanisms that regulate innate and adaptive immunity in health and disease with the long term goal of developing more effective therapies for inflammatory and autoimmune diseases.
As a Research Technician II, the successful candidate will play an integral role in supporting research efforts using a vast array of wet laboratory techniques, including tissue harvesting, cell and microbial culture, and molecular biology methodologies. The Research Technician II will work independently on a daily basis after training, with mentorship from senior research scientists and in close collaboration with other members of the team.
The position is ideal for future PhD or MD-PhD candidates who can expect to learn advanced methods and strategy applicable to basic and translational research. Relevant publications include papers in Cell Host Microbe PMID: 34403684, Cell PMID: 34015271, and Science PMID: 34015271.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
Please note, the functions below are representative of major duties that are typically associated with these positions. Specific responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Similarly, not all duties that have been outlined will be assigned to each position.
- Work with senior scientist to plan and meet project requirements and deadlines.
- Design, execute and analyze basic experiments.
- Attend team meetings to share results, plan projects and experiments, and to ensure that projects support current team goals in a dynamic environment.
- Consult with senior scientists or scientific literature as needed.
- Contributes to the generation of protocols and documents them for use by other lab members.
- Maintains detailed and organized electronic laboratory notebook.
- Assists with organizing materials for publication or presentation.
- Prepare, order and maintain stock of necessary lab reagents, solutions and supplies.
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment to complete investigations.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills, and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team with scientists from a wide range of research expertise.
- High level of initiative and the ability to work with little supervision.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication abilities.
- Proven track record of critical scientific thinking, multi-tasking ability, and strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong hands-on experience in molecular biology, genomics, and cellular biology (cell-based assays, primary and cell line culture).
- Computer literacy and working knowledge of data management programs.
- Experience with mouse models is highly desirable.
- Excellent aseptic technique and tissue culture skills are strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics or related life science field
- New graduates with at least 1-2 years of hands-on experience in a research laboratory, preferably as an independent study project.
- Those with a minimum of 1 year of directly related work experience will be considered for a Research Technician II position.
SUPERVISORY RESPOSIBILITY (if applicable):