CBR - Credit Risk Underwriter, Vice-President
Middle Market Banking & Specialized Industries (MMBSI) is a Commercial Banking business located in 117 offices across the US and Canada. MMBSI provides credit, cash management, capital markets and corporate finance advisory solutions to corporations, municipalities healthcare, higher ed and not-for-profit entities.
As an Credit Risk- Vice President in Government and Healthcare, Higher Ed and Non-Profits risk organization covering principally Municipal Clients across the national footprint, your primary role is to take ownership of your portfolio and to utilize excellent credit skills to work independently on the portfolio of relationships assigned to you. You will appropriately assess the risk in your portfolio, diligently managing the portfolio (i.e. renewals, modifications, managing the credit metrics), and meeting customer deadlines. You will be a partner to the Bankers across regions, striving to balance sales and credit quality goals. You will be looked to as an expert on structuring and Credit Policy and will be the go to person for the Bankers. You will be looked upon as a leader both within and outside of Credit Risk Underwriting; you will provide depth to the local credit leadership team and serve as a mentor to less experienced underwriters and bankers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Taking ownership of your portfolio, acting with a sense of urgency, doing whatever it takes to effectively get the job done.
• Structuring transactions by being open minded and creative and thinking from the standpoint of "how can we do this deal" while balancing the risk/reward rather than concluding immediately that the deal cannot be done. Additionally, you will provide ideas/suggestions on how to market our structure to the customer.
• Utilizing excellent credit skills to author well thought out and concise analysis of Middle Market relationships using appropriate structure and identifying key risks.
• Work in partnership with the Bankers to develop fulsome Client relationships including being looked to as the go to person when the coverage banker is out.
• Working proactively, in a constructive, diplomatic manner, with both internal and external contacts to keep transactions moving.
• Effective leader in complex transactions including syndications and multi-level capital structures.
• Having the ability to quickly and accurately evaluate smaller relationships to determine if the risk profile is acceptable and recommend simple structures that adequately protect the bank while not over engineering the transaction.
• Providing leadership in the market by being a positive contributor to the team including: being a mentor to less experienced team members and embracing change.
• Demonstrating excellent communication skills both internally and externally and using those communication skills to effectively solve problems.
• The ability and courage to voice your opinion in a clear, concise manner and to defend that position with Management.
• BA/BBA/MBA and completion of a major corporate or commercial bank credit training program (or the equivalent corporate banking/corporate finance experience)
• Minimum of five years’ experience in commercial banking/lending which might include credit, structuring and marketing experience
• Significant accounting and finance knowledge and commercial banking experience
• Demonstrated excellent verbal and written skills, interpersonal skills, and analytical and problem solving skills