Food for Change VISTA - Houston Food Bank [Houston, TX]
As the Food for Change VISTA, you will work with the Houston Food Bank to develop, sustain, and improve partnerships that will provide access to healthy food through Food for Change’s economic and health programs. You will work with leadership to develop alternative distribution partnerships to build new foundations and sustainable processes upon which home delivery and creative distribution programs will continue. You will also act as an advocate and community liaison to build relationships and engage community organizations to support their economic and health focused goals. All Community Capacity Corps VISTAs will also engage community members through a specifically tailored capacity goal designed to inform their project’s work.
As a Feeding Texas Community Capacity Corps VISTA, you will directly support the design and development of innovative strategies driving the future of food banking and the network’s unified effort toward a hunger-free Texas. The Community Capacity Corps is made up of a creative and motivated team building capacity for food bank programs focused on improving community health, economic security, and equitable access. As a VISTA, you will gain transferable skills in program and project management, partnership development & communication, and teamwork and collaboration. Through our program’s focus on community engagement, you will develop critical community capacity to strategically inform the design and delivery of your project. You will be given the opportunity to network with other VISTAs and non-profit professionals in a variety of food banking positions. With ample coaching and personal development opportunities, our Community Capacity Corps offers emerging non-profit professionals a way to gain a level of experience above other entry-level positions while serving at the front lines of the community response to poverty, disaster, and hunger.
- Childcare Assistance if Eligible
- Relocation Allowance
- On-Going Training and Professional Development
- Choice of Health Benefit or Healthcare Allowance
- Choice of Education Award ($6,495) or Cash Stipend ($1,800) upon completion of 1 Year of Service
- Living Allowance of $1,100 - $1,300/month pre-taxes (based on service site)
- Professional Development Fund
- College graduate or equivalent experience
- Interest in innovative approaches to addressing poverty
- Access to reliable transportation, personal vehicle recommended
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Responsible for finding your own housing