Senior Scientist Bioanalytical Research
Why Join Us?
Be a hero for our rare disease patients
At Ultragenyx, we fundamentally believe that taking real impactful action to care for the needs of patients and our people is always the right thing to do. To achieve this goal, our vision is to lead the future of rare disease medicine. For us, this means going where other biopharma companies won’t go – challenging the status quo and creating a new model that advances our field so more patients and caregivers can benefit from life-changing treatments. We do this by following the science, applying a novel rapid development approach, making innovative medicines at fair and reasonable prices, and creating a collaborative ecosystem to reach patients in ways that are most meaningful for them.
Our commitment and care for patients extends to our people, so culture is an essential cornerstone for Ultragenyx. We remain continuously focused on creating a supportive and inclusive environment of profound learning and growth – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where we would be proud for our family, friends and children to work.
If you want to have a meaningful impact, do the best work of your career, and grow a lot, both professionally and personally, come join our team. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we are committed to the health and safety of our employees and prospective employees, which means at this time our interview processes may include virtual discussions, interviews, and onboarding. Please note that compliance with local regulations and safety protocols is a condition of employment at Ultragenyx. Elements of safety protocols may include, but are not limited to: work from home requirements, regular or symptom-based covid testing, providing valid evidence of vaccination, mask wearing, and physical distancing.
US based roles: Full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment at Ultragenyx. This requirement applies to almost all roles at Ultragenyx based in the U.S., with very limited exceptions. If you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a disability, serious medical condition, or because it would violate your sincerely held religious belief, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation.
Roles based outside the US: If the role requires travel to the US or another country that requires evidence of covid vaccination for entry, candidates and employees will be required follow the local regulations and corporate policy regarding vaccination evidence submission.
Position Summary :
ultrafocused – Work together to fearlessly uncover new possibilities
Join us as a Scientist or Senior Scientist and bring your exceptional expertise in biological mass spectrometry to the Bioanalytical Research group of the Research Department in the Translational Sciences organization at Ultragenyx. Your broad skill and depth of understanding of hyphenated mass spectrometry techniques for the characterization and quantitation of proteins and proteoforms in complex matrices will advance innovative AAV-based, LNP, and biological therapeutics. This role requires substantial emphasis on multiple reaction monitoring (MRM) approaches inclusive of protein post-translational modifications.
This position reports to Principal Scientist, Bioanalytical Research.
Work Model :
Core Lab & Ops: majority of the work requires being in the office or laboratory either pre, during or post pandemic
- Develop protein and proteoform quantitation and characterization workflows in a collaborative, environment. Focus intensively on building multiple reaction monitoring LC-MS/MS approaches using stable-labeled internal standards.
- Establish new sample preparation techniques to maximize sensitivity, selectivity, and robustness of target protein quantification in complex matrices. Make use of automation to improve throughput and reproducibility.
- Design and improve experimental strategies to address immediate needs while capturing opportunities of broader impact on fundamental challenges in rare disease treatment using multiple modalities (gene therapy, lipid nanoparticles, enzyme replacement)
- Operation and optimization of Sciex QQQ and qTOF mass spectrometers interfaced with Vanquish UPLC systems
- Provide high-quality reports and provide interpretive insights to project teams and leadership. Support regulatory submissions, author manuscripts and prepare patent application materials
- Communicate, listen, learn, and teach in a diverse community of researchers focused on delivering life-changing products to patients of rare disease. Combine your enthusiasm for science and your passion for collaboration with your professional best in a startup
- Scientist level requires a PhD in in biological mass spectrometry and a minimum of 2-5 years related experience (may include post-doctoral experience); or a MS and 5+ years related experience; or a BA/BS and 8+ years related experience
- Senior Scientist level requires a PhD in biological mass spectrometry and 5+ years related experience (may include post-doctoral experience); or a MS and 8+ years related experience; or a BA/BS and 10+ years related experience
- Direct, current experience with multiple reaction monitoring LC-MS/MS approaches for quantitative analysis of proteins using stable-labeled internal standards
- Substantial experience in protein characterization using hyphenated mass spectrometry techniques (peptide mapping, intact protein, proteoform discovery and quantitative analysis)
- Practical wet bench experience with sample preparation of complex biological matrices including biochemical fractionation, proteolysis, solid phase extraction and affinity chromatography
- Experience with relevant mass spectrometry protein-centric software tools promoting the development of complex workflows, analyses and reports (ie, Analyst, Mascot, Protein Metrics, Skyline, TransProteomic Pipeline)
- Experience preparing formal documentation such as research reports, standard operating procedures, statements of work
Management Skills (If required for your job):
- Clarify Direction and Priorities: Set clear direction for your direct reports aligned with functional and corporate goals. Reprioritize work. Help others to do their job well by communicating information and making decisions
- Partner and Collaborate : Listen to and value others' thoughts and ideas. Demonstrate effective partnership both within and outside your team. Achieve results with and through others
- Support Learning and Growth: Demonstrate self-awareness, humility, and curiosity in service of self-development. Provide regular feedback to inspire growth and improvement in others
Full Time employees across the globe enjoy a range of benefits, including, but not limited to:
· Generous vacation time and public holidays observed by the company
· Volunteer days
· Long term incentive and Employee stock purchase plans or equivalent offerings
· Employee wellbeing benefits
· Fitness reimbursement
· Tuition sponsoring
· Professional development plans
* Benefits vary by region and country
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status. Reasonable accommodation will be provided for qualified individuals with disabilities and for qualified disabled veterans in job application procedures, as required by applicable law. If you have any difficulty using our online application system and need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact Talent Acquisition by calling: (415) 483-8800 or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For electronic email and mail inquiries, please include a description of your requested accommodation, your name and contact information.
Note to External Recruiters: All candidate activity and open positions are managed strictly through our Human Resources Department. Our Human Resources Department kindly requests that recruiters not contact employees/hiring managers directly in an attempt to solicit business and present candidates. Please note that failure to comply with this request will be a factor in determining a professional relationship with our organization. Submission of unsolicited resumes prior to an agreement set in place between the Human Resources Department and the recruiting agency will not create any implied obligation. Inquiries on developing a recruiting relationship with us, may be directed to: email@example.com.