Research Engagement and Data Curator
Research Engagement and Data Curator
The Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL) Library & Archives seeks a highly motivated, collaborative, and enthusiastic candidate with a passionate interest in current life science research to join our Library team as a Research Engagement and Data Curator. In support of open-science principles, the qualified applicant will develop strategies for partnering with members of the CSHL scientific community to promote their research and facilitate effective engagement with academics and the public. The incumbent for this position will play a key role in implementing the NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy at CSHL and will be able to work across multiple levels of the institution to ensure the success of and compliance with this Policy.
The Research Engagement and Data Curator reports to the Executive Director of the Library & Archives.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Lead the Library’s research data-sharing, research impact, and open-science initiatives by developing and implementing programs.
- Participate in the CSHL Faculty Profile project (showcase of the faculty research & academic accomplishments)
- Serve as liaison to research laboratories by forging relationships with faculty, postdocs, and students.
- Help CSHL scientists to make their research transparent and accessible.
- Create and deliver the training, consultation, and workshops related to science communication, authors’ rights, open access, and data management to CSHL faculty, postdocs, and graduate students.
- Participate in the institution’s effort to measure the impact of CSHL research by developing metrics, collecting, and analyzing publication and engagement data.
- Participate in educational programs including our Science Journal Club for high school students.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- First-hand knowledge of the scientific research and publication cycle.
- Experience with: NCBI resources (PubMed, PubMed Central, Genbank,) and others such as Scopus and Web of Science; the principles of open access; scientific data management; science communication.
- Ability to communicate and work with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with research community, administration, and colleagues.
- Excellent interpersonal, multitasking, verbal, and written communication skills
- Experience consulting on data management plans.
- Experience with project management
- Familiarity with programming languages such as R, Python.
- Familiarity with FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable) data principles.
- Experience in science communication.
Advanced degree (preferably at the doctoral level) in life sciences, data science, library science, or another relevant discipline.
· 1-3 year’ experience working in an academic environment.
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Interested candidates should apply for this position via the CSHL website at:
Position Number: 00598-E
For more information about CSHL, please visit us at: www.cshl.edu
CSHL is an EO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status.
You are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition to your employment at the Laboratory, except in instances where you have a qualifying medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance that is contrary to receiving the vaccine. You will be required to provide proof of your vaccination on your first day of employment. For those individuals, who are unable to receive a vaccine due to access issues, they will be expected to receive the vaccine upon arrival in New York.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor