2023 - Summer Associate Internship - Investment Banking & Leveraged Finance Rotational Program
The Leveraged Finance (“LF”) Group’s mandate is to originate, structure, underwrite and execute leveraged deals in support of financial sponsors and corporate issuers. LF’s capabilities include 1) issuing and/or underwriting leveraged loans and high yield bonds, 2) leveraged buyouts (“LBO”) or corporate M&A financings, 3) liability management and 4) capital structure advisory for non-investment grade issuers.
The Investment Banking Group (“IBG”) provides strategic financial and investment advice to publicly listed corporates, financial sponsors, family offices and emerging growth companies on the structuring and execution of complex transactions, including takeover defense, mergers & acquisitions and asset divestments. The team includes over 80 bankers located in New York, San Francisco, Mexico City, Bogota, São Paulo, and Santiago de Chile.
*Physical presence in BNPP’s office(s) is an essential function of this position. BNPP requires all of our employees to be vaccinated in order to access its offices, subject to reasonable accommodations for reasons related to disability or religion
The summer associate position represents an excellent opportunity to join the established yet growing leveraged finance and investment banking group platforms. During the summer program, summer associates will rotate and split time across the Investment Banking Group and Leveraged Finance.
During the Leveraged Finance rotation, you will develop a core skillset of deep credit capital markets analysis and have the opportunity to contribute meaningfully to a team with a flat hierarchy and direct access to senior bankers. The summer associate is a critical member of the deal team – responsibilities include the following:
- Knowledge of the leveraged debt capital markets and current market conditions
- Advanced financial statement analysis and cash flow projection modeling
- Fundamental credit analysis and related due diligence to identify significant business, industry and financial strengths and risks
- Transaction execution – the summer associate will be critical in the entire life cycle of a deal from structuring/modeling, development of the credit proposal for internal credit and capital markets committees, development of marketing materials for debt investors (rating agency presentations, lender presentations, offering memorandum), responding on Q&A directly with the debt investors during syndication
- Assist senior members of the team in the preparation of pitch materials in day to day interaction with clients, including execution of live transactions
- Financial documentation – high level understanding of loan and bond documentation
- Synthesize information from multiple sources in order to conduct timely financial analysis and market research for senior coverage officers and external clients (both Corporate and Sponsor)
- Capital structure advisory – develop financing structure alternatives/solutions, relative pricing of securities, liability management, and provide process guidance to issuers
- Collaborate with other professionals throughout the organization including Investment Banking Group, Corporate Coverage, Syndication, Ratings Advisory, Sales and Trading, Portfolio Management, and the Risk Department
During the Investment Banking Group rotation, you will work within the Execution Group, providing support to deal teams on ongoing live buy-side and sell-side transaction execution – responsibilities will include the following:
- Overview – support the origination and execution of advisory activities
- Execution – manage multiple assignments in parallel, prepare presentations, marketing materials, perform advanced financial analysis, and valuations. Coordinate deals with all parties involved in the transaction
- Origination – provide industry/market intelligence and competitive analysis for potential opportunities, and assist in scoping investment banking deals. Identify investment banking opportunities where BNPP can add value as an advisor, acting as a conduit to others on the Advisory team. Prepare pitches
- Relationship building – establish effective working relationships and build credibility with internal and external constituents
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
The summer associate position demands strong analytical, quantitative, financial analysis, writing and presentation skills. Candidates will be expected to have:
- Graduation date of Spring 2024
- Strong financial modelling capabilities and in-depth knowledge of corporate finance theory
- Ability to prepare pitch books on business opportunities
- Demonstrated record of academic excellence
- Proactive, self-starter and goal oriented - strong work ethic and demonstrated commitment to excellence
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented and reliable with a complete focus on quality results / deliverables
- Previous experience working in a fast paced, deal oriented environment
- Ability to handle multiple high priority responsibilities under tight deadlines
- Strong team player with ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience
- Currently in process of obtaining a Master of Business Administration
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Suite
WHAT DOES A SUMMER 2023 MBA PROGRAM WITH BNP PARIBAS LOOK LIKE?
At BNP Paribas, our people are our greatest asset, and we are committed to helping you grow from day one. The internship program is our primary source for hiring early talent into the Bank, providing you with the network and resources you need to build a successful career.
Over 10 weeks, you will acquire in-depth insight into BNP Paribas and gain valuable and practical experience. Whichever area you are placed in, you will join a team of award-winning specialists in a dynamic, collaborative environment. Through the program, interns have a distinct opportunity to gain guidance from mentors and exposure to senior leaders within the Bank.
As an Intern, you will:
- Engage in an initial induction training that will set you up to succeed, and allow you to network with your intern class across all business divisions
- Complete technical projects and collaborate with colleagues across the Bank, gaining exposure to real work in order to identify your skills and explore where your interests align
- Participate in weekly senior speaker events and roundtable discussions to gain a comprehensive understanding of financial markets and the industry
- Network with colleagues and learn about industry topics through workshops and speaker series, as well as through philanthropy and social events
Anticipated Program Dates: June 5, 2023 - August 11, 2023
IN A CHANGING WORLD, BNP PARIBAS IS YOU + US.
We truly believe that our early talent is our future: the people that accelerate innovation and provide meaningful impact to both our clients and society. You + Us encompasses our ethos as an employer; crafting experiences together, being part of a collective group and working towards a common goal. We know it matters who you work with, and that is why we are dedicated to encouraging an environment of knowledge sharing and collaboration. In starting your career here, you will be surrounded with peers and mentors who can help you develop + thrive.
CANDIDATE SUCCESS FACTORS:
Candidates to be measured on the following four performance drivers, which will dictate how individual impact is considered on the Americas platform:
- Results and Impact
- Impacts division and influences peers and team
- Demonstrates good judgement when making decisions of high complexity and impact
- Relies on limited guidance for most complex decision making
- Is responsible for driving outcomes which have meaningful effect on team or department
- Leadership and Collaboration
- Creates trust with department leaders
- Acts in leadership capacity for large projects, processes, or programs for a team
- Client, Customer and Stakeholder Focus
- Able to build relationships with a mix of intermediate and senior colleagues or clients
- Interacts regularly with management and department leaders
- Demonstrates the ability to persuade and influence stakeholders at the team level
- Compliance Culture and Conduct
- Takes full responsibility for personal actions and demonstrates courage in facing problems and conflicts
- Perceived as a person of high moral character; upholds corporate values and displays high ethical standards
ABOUT BNP PARIBAS:
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach across the US, EMEA and APAC. It has a presence in 65 countries, with nearly 190,000 employees. In the United States, BNP Paribas has built a strong and diversified presence to support its client base. We continue to grow and strengthen our commitment to the US market through our Corporate & Institutional Banking activities. We are one of a few non-US banks to offer a full value chain for our clients, from trading to financing, and clearing and custody in the US with the international footprint and capacity to deliver both globally and locally. Leveraging the strength of our European roots, our network can support clients in virtually every region of the world, enabling more connectivity and efficiency wherever our clients conduct business. We take pride in our expertise and our ability to adapt while constantly looking ahead to create a more sustainable world.
BNP Paribas. The Bank for a Changing World.
The annualized salary for this position in New York, NY is $175,000.
EQUAL CHANCES & OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL:
BNP Paribas is committed to providing a work environment that fosters diversity, inclusion, and equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, creed, sex, religion, national origin, disability (physical or mental), marital status, citizenship, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or any other legally protected status.