Scientist - TEM Image Analysis and Scientific Reporting
NanoImaging Services, Inc. (NIS) is an industry leader providing structural analysis and characterization services of biopharmaceuticals using electron microscopy and advanced image processing to over 200 Pharma and Biotech companies globally. Our laboratories in San Diego and the Greater Boston area are powered by seven of the industry’s most advanced microscopes and a highly experienced and collaborative team of microscopists, analysists, and support staff. As a top tier contract research organization, NIS is dedicated to help its customers’ pursuits by guiding medicinal chemistry and advance the understanding of mechanisms of action of nanoparticle therapeutics, vaccines, and drug targets.
We are seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented scientist interested in characterization of a wide variety of drug targets, vaccines, and other gene and drug delivery systems via Transmission Electron Microscopy imaging and analysis.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting detailed analyses of electron microscopy data to describe structural characteristics of samples; this includes, but is not limited to, specialized particle sizing, fraction counting, 2D classification, tomographic reconstructions, and high-resolution 3D structure determination
- Managing client projects including client communication, experimental design, project scheduling, data evaluation, data analysis and presentation
- Effectively communicating and collaborating across functional groups to ensure efficient progress toward client goals
- Reviewing scientific literature to aid in analyses and understanding of projects
- Writing comprehensive reports detailing the findings from image analysis and processing
- Presenting ongoing analyses and results to clients and responding to feedback
A successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- A PhD in Structural Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Virology or a related area of the life sciences; a Master’s degree with 3+ years of relevant experience in the field of (Electron) Microscopy will also be considered.
- Experience in electron microscopy image evaluation and data analysis; experience in single particle analysis for high resolution 3D structure determination is considered a plus
- Excellent and demonstrable scientific writing and verbal communication skills in English
- Demonstrate a strong focus on customer service and client satisfaction while maintaining high ethics and scientific integrity
- Ability to maintain rigorous attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to work on multiple challenging projects in a fast-paced environment
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States (US Citizen / Permanent Resident)
The following qualifications would be considered a plus:
- Previous experience in investigating biological specimens
- Previous experience in operating highly technical scientific instruments
- Previous experience in the preparation of negatively stained and/or vitrified specimen grids for TEM