Communications and Journalism Intern
About Fortune: The Fortune Society, Inc. (Fortune) has evolved into one of the nation’s preeminent reentry and justice-informed service organizations, providing formerly-incarcerated people with the skills and wrap-around services needed to break the cycle of crime and incarceration and to build productive lives in their communities. Our Mission: The Fortune Society’s mission is to support successful reentry from incarceration and promote alternatives to incarceration, thus strengthening the fabric of our communities.
Opportunity Title: Communications and Journalism Intern
Type: Intern, un-paid
Department/Reports To: Communications Dept / Communications Associate
Location: In-Person (Long Island City)
Tentative Schedule: 15-20 hours per week commitment (sometime Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)
Duration: Fall (Sept 1-Dec 15); Spring (Feb 1-May 15); Summer (June 1-Aug 15)
Application Deadline: Ongoing until opportunity is filled.
Position Summary: The role of the Communications and Journalism Intern is to help tell the stories of people with justice involvement; gain exposure to writing and editing for digital platforms and print publications; assist in communicating a large agency’s core messaging; help execute communications and fundraising campaigns; and leverage supporters to advance an agency’s mission, advocacy agenda, communications, and fundraising goals.
Tasks / Primary Responsibilities
§ Transcribe recorded interviews.
§ Write, edit, and format for digital and print platforms.
§ Fact check content for accuracy.
§ Render concepts into print and other collateral by coordinating with the graphic design intern to transform concepts into reality.
§ Utilize data to inform marketing decisions, and apply available tools to help organize and analyze key marketing metrics
▪ Interact with story subjects by interviewing staff, volunteers, clients and board members to collect stories and experiences for distribution on digital and print platforms
§ Learn about a broad range of subjects surrounding Fortune’s work and criminal justice reform by tracking press and digital coverage of Fortune and related issues
§ Learn how a large nonprofit agency communicates with external audiences by writing and editing blog posts, stories, fundraising appeals, news articles, and other communications and fundraising collateral for digital and print publications.
§ Learn how marketing materials are crafted by collaborating with key staff members to draft agency-wide fundraising, communications, and marketing collateral.
§ Learn how to use and navigate Raiser’s Edge; intern will have full access to “BlackBod University” and the Raiser’s Edge course
▪ Must have knowledge of: Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), One Drive, Google apps (Google Docs and Google Sheets)
▪ Bachelor’s degree and or Master’s degree candidate, preferably in Journalism, Public Relations, Media Communications, Political Science, or English
▪ Strong writing, editing, fact checking, proofing, research, and verbal communications skills
▪ Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
▪ Strong passion and desire to promote the mission and work of Fortune
▪ Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, and manage time effectively in a fast-paced, high-energy environment
▪ Comfortable with talking about sensitive topics with our community members.
▪ Must be able to type very quickly and accurately
▪ Bonus if you know: social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Youtube), social media management platforms (Hootsuite, Later, Iconosquare, Curalate), WordPress, Mailchimp, Raiser’s Edge, and Online Express, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, InCopy, Lightroom).
Check with your school's Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting the hiring offer to determine if this position satisfies the criteria for receiving academic credit.
▪ Must be 18+ of age
▪ Must have personal laptop/computer with reliable internet connection
▪ Must show proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination (boosters not required to comply with EO47).