School Social Worker
Under the general supervision of the Superintendent, to provide students, parents, administrators, and other teaching staff with individually-tailored advice and consultation to overcome personal, emotional, familial, or social issues to maximize the students' learning experience.
- Conducts assessments, testing and diagnostic examinations of students for the purpose of identifying learning or social interaction issues, and recommending courses of action or corrective procedures to overcome issues and maximize learning.
- Performs casework services with students and parents to encourage parental understanding of, and participation in, overcoming social issues to maximize the educational experience of the student.
- Assists students and teaching staff in implementing students' behavior management plans.
- Coordinates with outside agencies, organizations and institutions, including state and federal authorities as needed.
- Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to ascertain individual student's abilities and needs, including students with special needs, and to familiarize stakeholders with social work services.
- Assists with the school district's dropout prevention efforts.
- Serves as ready resource to students and parents to provide counseling that will lead each student to increased personal growth, self-understanding, and behavioral management; serves as liaison between home and school.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research, and by maintaining professional relationships.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Assists in the orientation of new teachers, and provides in-service training in guidance.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone. Equipped with an Apple MacBook Air laptop provided by the District.
- Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Knowledge of Social Work principles, theories, testing, methods, etc. as well as proven behavior management methods.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Works in standard office and school building environments.
- North Dakota State Certification as a Social Worker
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
Bachelors from an accredited college or university.
Successful experience in a school setting preferred.
-Retirement: McKenzie County Public School District #1 contributes 8% to non-certified staff's retirement.
-Insurance: With a comprehensive insurance plan, we utilize Blue Cross Blue Shield's NDPHIT for health insurance and Blue Cross Blue Shield for Vision and Dental Insurance offerings. Single without dependent Contract Staff can enjoy their health insurance being 100% paid for by the School District!