Manager/Senior Manager -Risk Management
You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
Unleash your skills to define the future of how we serve our customers.
How we serve our customers is constantly evolving and is a challenge we gladly accept. Whether you’re finding new ways to prevent identity fraud or enabling customers to start a new business, you have a platform to identify insights and actions that can have a meaningful impact on our customers and our business. And, with opportunities to learn from leaders who have defined the course of our industry, you can grow your career and define your own path.
This critical team is responsible for managing enterprise risks through the customer lifecycle and across all our global products. We develop industry-first data capabilities, build profitable decision-making frameworks, create machine learning-powered predictive models, and improve customer servicing strategies. This team has delivered industry-leading results year after year while enabling profitable growth and delivering a best-in-class customer experience.
This team is structured under four core functions:
- Credit Risk Strategy: Monitor credit portfolios and optimize profit-based risk management decisions at all stages of the customer credit lifecycle
- Fraud Risk Strategy: Develop fraud prevention strategies on behalf of our customers
- Risk Capabilities: Develop technical solutions and capabilities to manage data and execute credit and fraud risk strategies
You will work in a highly dynamic and exciting environment and will have the opportunity to shape strategies and policies for American Express products and services. You will play an influential role working closely with colleagues in other Risk Management teams, Marketing, Finance, Servicing, Legal, Compliance, Banking, and Technology to create world-class strategies and capabilities.
The key responsibilities for Managers in Credit or Fraud Risk Strategy include:
- Develop and continuously enhance policies, processes, and controls for mitigating credit risk exposure and preventing fraud
- Conduct quantitative analysis to decide the thresholds within which consumers and businesses can access funds (for example: who is approved for a card, how much credit line do they receive, and when they swipe their card, is their transaction approved?)
- Design customer communication and servicing strategies to support risk management strategies, ensuring a positive experience across every customer touchpoint
- Identify, evaluate, and integrate new data sources and capabilities into decision-making
- Analyze large volumes of data to identify emerging credit trends and uncover new fraud patterns
- Partner with other teams across the company to standardize methodologies
- Maintain an effective control environment and respond to operational breakdowns with discipline
- Advanced degree (e.g., MS, PhD, or MBA) in a quantitative field such as Econometrics, Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Engineering, or Computer Science
- Advanced degree is preferred but not required given a suitable combination of formal education and work experience
- Credit/Fraud risk management experience and understanding of credit lifecycle is preferred
- Blend of analytical skills, process expertise, project management, and relationship-building skills
- Ability to handle large datasets using SAS, SQL, R, Python or another similar programming language
- Thought leadership and solution-oriented mindset
- Ability to think strategically and apply both quantitative methods and business insights to drive results
- Ability to build strong relationships in a cross-functional environment
- Clear, effective written and oral communication skills
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.