Instructional Assistant (Connections)
INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT (CONNECTIONS)
Watertown Middle School
Watertown Public Schools
Job ID: 3949192
Application Deadline: July 20, 2022
Posted: June 29, 2022
Starting Date: September 1, 2022
Position: Instructional Assistant - Connections Program
Department: Special Education
Reports to: Principal
Affiliation: Watertown Educators Association
Salary range: As determined by CBA Salary Schedule, Unit D
Watertown Public Schools seeks an outstanding Instructional Assistant to support students with disabilities in accessing their education.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The essential functions or duties listed below are illustrations of the type of work that is performed and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for by this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Other duties may be assigned.
- Under direction from the general education teacher, special education teacher, and related service providers, provide needed supports to students during instructional periods as well as non-instructional activities
- Maintain student data as directed by teachers / related service providers
- Follow behavior support plans as provided by teachers / related service providers
- Assist students, if/ as needed, with completion of personal care needs such as eating, organizing materials, toileting, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The Superintendent may waive or modify the qualification requirements. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Flexibility with respect to age groups, assignments
- Ability to follow through with directions
- Experience working with students at the elementary level who have significant learning and social/emotional needs
- Experience implementing Behavior Intervention Plans and an understanding of functions of behaviors
- Must have experience with or ability to learn ABA methodology and techniques
- Ability to take initiative to complete tasks and to assist students with de-escalation techniques and executive functioning skills
- Ability to work collaboratively as a part of a team
- Experience with, or ability to learn to utilize, assistive technology and PECS functional communication systems in support of students
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Experience supporting students with disabilities in a public school setting preferred
Instructional Assistants may be required to supervise children in a variety of settings, which requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time. This position may require staff to be intervene with students who are in behavioral crisis, which requires a normal degree of flexibility; the ability to stand, walk, run, and shuffle for at least several minutes; the ability to kneel on one knee and two knees and then stand up; to bend the trunk at 45 degrees and twist to either side; to grasp firmly; to raise the hands above the head; and to learn and correctly demonstrate multi-step physical skills. Instructional Assistants may need to assist students with toileting needs, which may require the ability to lift and pivot.
Most tasks require visual perception and discrimination and the ability to distinguish color. The employee must be able to read printed matter with or without visual aids. The employee must be able to visually supervise students in small and large group settings. The employee must be able to communicate effectively with other staff members in order to exchange accurate information.
The noise level in this environment may be quiet to loud depending on the activity and the particular time of the day and location. The activity level in a classroom and school is often busy. The employee interacts with other staff members and occasionally must meet multiple demands from several people.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.
Position Type: Full-time
Positions Available: 4
Welcome to Watertown Middle School!
Mission The Watertown Middle School, in partnership with families and the community, provides a supportive and challenging learning environment where every student feels safe, respected, and valued. As a place for transition, the Middle School nurtures the development of self-esteem and the unique emotional, social, ethical and academic growth of each student.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Watertown Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience preferred
- Bachelor degree preferred
- Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
Jennifer Chen Fein, Principal Elect
68 Waverly Avenue
Watertown, MA 02472