College & Career Advisor
COLLEGE NOW GREATER CLEVELAND
POSITION TITLE: College and Career Advisor, Full Time, 12 months
STANDARD HOURS: 8 hours per day; hours vary depending on school schedule and school needs
SALARY: Starting at $40,000 and increases with relevant experience
REPORTS TO: Manager, Advising Programs and Services
ASSIGNED TO: Advising Programs and Services
The Advisor helps students aspire to, prepare for, enroll in, and find resources to pay for postsecondary education. Based on specific school assignments, this is mainly accomplished via classroom workshops, group sessions, individual student meetings, and parent meetings. The advisor will work with students in grades that can range between 6 - 12.
- Work within each schools unique environment in order to best serve students while meeting College Now expectations. Attend faculty meetings, school Open House, College Information Night and Financial Aid Night, and other meetings as necessary in order to meet key school personnel, promote College Now services and integrate into the schools system.
- Provide group and individual services to students in all assigned schools. These services may include:
- Assisting students with discerning career and college goals by providing information regarding educational options beyond high school, including institutional choice, career options, admissions and financial aid.
- Advising students about college entrance exams (including ACT, SAT, SAT subject tests) and test preparation resources; assisting students with test registration forms and providing fee waivers. Provide entrance exam preparation.
- Supplying students with admission and financial aid applications; providing waivers, where appropriate, for application fees and tuition/housing deposits.
- Guiding students through the financial aid process, including assistance with the FAFSA and CSS Profile, advocating for those with special circumstances, reviewing the SAR, interpreting college financial aid award letters, assisting with verification and helping students with any other necessary paperwork.
- Promoting scholarship opportunities and encouraging students to research and apply for applicable scholarships and awards.
- Recommend qualified high school seniors for College Now scholarships, collect required documentation, and enter appropriate information in a web-based student database.
- If applicable, serve as a mentor/team leader to AmeriCorps College Guide(s) assigned to the Advisors school(s) by facilitating integration into the school, assisting with delivery of classroom presentations, and working as a team to provide services to students and families.
- Track all services by accurately entering demographic information, contacts and notes in student database. Adhere to strict confidentiality in student record keeping.
- Serve as a student advocate through: 1) communication with colleges and universities; 2) communication with parents; 3) collaboration with school; and 4) communication and cooperation with outside scholarship programs.
- Refer students to other services, e.g. school counselors, staff, college departments and other agencies for assistance in areas outside of College Now's responsibilities, if deemed necessary.
- Become aware of and open to opportunities to promote College Now services through community outreach.
- Attend all advisor trainings and other meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Advisor must have a bachelors degree, experience working with adolescents, and strong communication and interpersonal skills. Teaching certificate and/or experience a plus. Must be able to work autonomously and in a team environment with a collaborative focus. Must be comfortable using a laptop computer, able to conduct searches on the internet and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), and must be able to enter data in a student database. Must be willing to work occasional evening and weekend hours. Must be able to provide own transportation to school locations throughout in Northeast Ohio. Must be able to carry up to 10 pounds daily, consisting of a laptop computer, printer, and advising materials.
Disclaimer: "Nothing in this position description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time."