Lab Test Engineer (Req #5748)
Lab Test Engineer
Work Arrangement: Onsite
Location: Frederick, MD
We are seeking a Lab Test Engineer for our Frederick, MD office to assist in our Service Experience group where we are advancing the technology of device performance measurement and setting new standards for voice and data performance information and services.
About Spirent Communications
Spirent is the leading global provider of automated test and assurance solutions for communications networks, cybersecurity, and positioning.
We provide innovative products, services, and managed solutions that address the test, assurance, and automation challenges of a new generation of technologies, including 5G, cloud, autonomous vehicles, and beyond. From testing in the lab to testing in the real world, Spirent helps companies deliver on their promise to their customers of a new generation of connected devices and technologies.
Why Spirent?... Because together we can shape tomorrow!
Spirent is its people. When you join the Spirent team, you will join forces and work alongside some of the industry’s most passionate subject matter experts. In an environment of innovation, you will find a place where you can grow, think, explore, create, and make change happen.
At Spirent, we believe that diversity and inclusion are essential to thriving in the ever-changing world of global technology. We embrace a culture where difference is valued and openness, mutual respect, collaboration, and fairness are considered fundamental. Spirent does not tolerate discrimination or offensive behavior of any kind. We are committed to creating workplaces that genuinely reflect the diversity of the world we serve and an environment where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work.
Your success is vital to our success, which is why we will support you to perform, grow, and contribute – with the confidence to be yourself. And to support your personal wellbeing, we hope you will love our dedication to creating the right work and life balance experience!
Join Spirent and together let’s shape tomorrow!
- Performing lab-based testing per published test plans.
- Troubleshooting related device and performance issues onsite as required.
- Setting up and operating associated test equipment as required.
- Occasionally working directly with clients to resolve issues.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university in Engineering (Electrical, Computer, or Telecommunications) with an area of study focused on wireless communications and/or audio signal processing preferred, or equivalent work experience.
- Excellent written and verbal skills with a demonstrated ability to produce technical reports.
- A highly motivated individual who can learn quickly and execute independently.
- Excellent Problem-Solving Skills.
- Ability to understand, analyze and draw conclusions from test results and report in writing.
- Learning about device testing concepts, wireless technologies, and acoustics.
- Learning how to operate the lab test equipment.
Testing of cellular and Wi-Fi device Knowledge in the following areas:
- Ability to review packet data captured from various points within networks
- Knowledge of wireless LTE(VoLTE/ViLTE), and NR (5G SA/NSA) standards is desirable.
- Knowledge of compiled and interpreted programming languages (AWS, C#, Java, Python, Matlab).
- Knowledge of mobile data applications is required, and familiarity with network data throughput is a plus.
- Knowledge and usage of RF test equipment like spectrum analyzers and signal generators is required, familiarity with base station emulators from Anritsu, R&S, and Spirent is a plus.
- Knowledge and usage of Audio test equipment like baseband spectrum analyzers and signal generators are required, familiarity with HEAD Acqua, Bruel & Kjaer HATS, R & S UPV.
- Knowledge/ familiarity with video formats, streaming protocols, and chat protocols.
- Knowledge/ familiarity with video streaming service providers (Netflix, Hulu, DirectTV Now).
- Knowledge/ familiarity with video frame rates and audio sync.
- Proficiency with data handling in MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint.