Nature Preschool Teacher
We build joyful communities of children and teachers connected to each other and to their outdoor environments through discovery and play. We believe that children are intrinsically motivated to learn, and that they do so by exploring the world around them. Our programs are located on the grounds of the Arnold Arboretum (Boston), Massachusetts Horticultural Society (Wellesley), and Pine Banks Park (Malden). This is the right opportunity for an experienced early childhood teacher who enjoys teaching outdoors in all weather conditions.
• Location: Arnold Arboretum (Boston), MassHort (Wellesley), or Pine Banks Park (Malden/Melrose)
• Schedule: School Year 2022 - 2023
• Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The position is 20 hours/week (15 hours/week of teaching and 5 hours/week for parent communication, meetings, and prep)
• Salary: $18 - $25/hour. The position is salaried, with paid time off for breaks and holidays.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Nurture the spirit and curiosity of each child while building strong relationships with families and children. Use a nature-based and child-centered approach.
• Be responsible for the health and safety of each child. Manage risk and address conflict in an outdoor setting
• Gracefully and professionally communicate with parents, caregivers, and the general public
• Use daily written documentation through StoryPark as a tool for parent communication, reflection, and new learning
• Supervise interns
• Attend occasional evening/weekend professional development events as needed
• Other duties as assigned
• Experience leading early childhood classes
• Experience in environmental education and anti-bias education
• Ability to stimulate the inherent curiosity children have about their surroundings, and expand on it with emergent and place-based curriculum
• Strong classroom management skills and ability to maintain a safe learning environment
• Embrace a wide variety of weather conditions as unique and interesting, part of the ebb and flow of the natural rhythm and seasonal changes
• Engaging and easily able to communicate with children, families, and peers
• Eager to work in a nonprofit start-up culture. Tolerant of uncertainty and change and understand that organizations continue to improve when the people who work there are adaptable, take chances, and learn from their mistakes.
• This position requires successful reference and background checks.
• Candidates who add to our diverse community are encouraged to apply.
• Boston Outdoor Preschool Network is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
• Hiring is rolling until the position is filled. Email your resume and cover letter to Sarah.Besse@bopn.org