Research Compliance Associate / Research Administration
The BWH Research Compliance Associate is responsible for monitoring Brigham and Women’s research compliance activities to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws and Partners and hospital policies. Working under the direction of the Director of Sponsored Programs and the Research Compliance Manager, the Research Compliance Associate will specifically monitor compliance in the areas of export controls, academic and international training and collaboration, and research data access, security, and integrity. Assists with other compliance efforts in the department such as process improvement, auditing/monitoring activities, organizing and developing research compliance training content and assisting with the development of policies as needed.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. The BWH Research Compliance Associate will have the following responsibilities:
- a. Serve as a resource for export control issues and questions related to Partners International Office sponsored VISAs from embargoed countries, including clearing foreign nationals for employment at BWH. Provides guidance to researchers facing unique export situations and secures federal licenses when appropriate.
- b. Work with members of the BWH Research Community to facilitate research data sharing, consistent with federal laws and MGB policies, for approved collaborations with external researchers. Improve operational efficiency by creating robust guidance and educational resources for investigators wishing to share data.
- c. Review sponsored staff remote systems access requests, interfacing with the Office for Sponsored Staff, the Research Information Security Office, Research Management, and the IRB to ensure regulatory compliance and minimize risk to the institution.
- d. Assist with the development of Institutional Policies and Procedures to monitor compliance with data security requirements associated with sponsored projects or subject to a data sharing plan.
- e. Manage and coordinate faculty transfers to ensure that all institutional and sponsor obligations have been met and that any transfer of materials and/or data is appropriate and consistent with federal regulations, funding agreements, and MGB policies.
- f. Assist with monitoring, auditing, and investigations of research activities as needed.
- g. Support international research collaborations and compliance around these changing processes.
- h. Act as a resource for hospital research community regarding the responsible conduct of research and compliance with federal sponsor requirements. Assist in determining the necessary ethical and institutional review of sponsored activity.
- i. Manage annual lab safety training for all BWH laboratory researchers. Assign all new lab-based employees and coordinate annual re-assignment process. Work with subject matter experts and stakeholders to review, revise and enhance training on a yearly basis.
2. Other responsibilities:
- Develop and deliver educational materials for programs related to all aspects of research compliance.
- Assign required training determined from scientific review of staff research projects
- Audit compliance training to ensure compliance with institutional policies
- Represent the department on BWH and MGB committees and ad hoc task forces as needed.
- Assist with investigations of research misconduct.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications - External
- Baccalaureate Degree required (preferably in a science discipline); Masters Degree Preferred, or equivalent experience
- A minimum of three years of experience in research administration and/or compliance (i.e., IACUC/IBC/IRB/regulatory affairs)
- Laboratory experience strongly preferred
- Proficient in using computer software applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Illustrator and Adobe.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills (oral and written).
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to understand and navigate complex organizations.
- Ability to work independently, with all levels, within a strong team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities, often under time pressures.
- Attention to detail a must as well as ability to accurately prioritize workflow.