This research assistant position will provide the opportunity for you to work in a neuroscience/physiology research laboratory as part of a team focusing on neuronal signaling at the single cell and circuit level. Our work involves studies to identify and characterize the molecular pathways operating in acute neurological disorders. The lab is interested in a variety of diseases including delirium and encephalopathy. The lab is part of the Research and Development Service of the Portland VA Medical Center in Portland, Oregon. See https://smslab.org/
Formal or informal experience with at least one of the following is desired:
- Biological sciences
- Psychological/Neurological sciences
This position would be suited for someone with a bachelor's or master's degree in these fields, though it is not required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Interest in learning how to perform single neuron physiology experiments.
Previous experience with electrophysiological, biophysical, and live cell imaging techniques would be advantageous but we expect to provide on-the-job training.
Analysis of data, construction of figures, and manuscript preparation.
SECONDARY JOB DUTIES
- Help maintain lab databases and spreadsheets
- Organize and backup records regularly
- Prepare supplies for experiments, clean equipment, set-up experimental space
- Keep the physical lab spaces organized, efficient, and up to institutional standards
- Tissue culture, biochemistry (protein expression, purification, and western blotting), molecular biology (gene cloning, sequencing).