Research Engineer I – Tape Solutions
Saint-Gobain Tape Solutions is searching for an entry level Research Engineer to join our Adhesives Systems R&D Team at Saint-Gobain’s North American R&D center in Northborough, MA. The team works closely with the commercial and operations groups to develop new products, solve customer challenges and improve our industrial processes. Under the direction of a senior engineer, you will be expected to design and execute experiments, perform carful testing of adhesive performance, analyze results, and present the findings in both written and oral formats. You will be expected to collaborate with R&D centers and production sites globally to ensure rapid development and industrialization of new adhesive solutions.
The Research Engineer will be expected to :
- Conduct hands-on experiments and performance tests as assigned according to standard operating procedures or other specific instructions. Typical experiments include preparing test samples in a fume hood, working with other engineers on pilot production line, testing tape performance using a variety of specialized equipment and software, using basic statistics to interpret data, and reporting results to other team members.
- Supports engineers and scientists in R&D team, and executes and/or supports commercial and manufacturing support requests.
- Manages and documents projects and tasks effectively with supervision.
- Plays a leading role in lab management: safety aspects, equipment maintenance, 5S, lab audit preparation and action follow-up, lab postings, regular equipment checks etc.
- Demonstrates open and collaborative approach in all areas of responsibility.
- Ability to work independently on several projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to execute hands-on experimental work, familiarity with statistical tools, data analysis, and drawing conclusions based on a collection of data and interpretation.
- Project leadership including: basic project management, experimental design, delegation, problem solving and teamwork.
- Excellent written and oral communication and ability to collaborate effectively in a matrix structure with people from a wide range of backgrounds including business, manufacturing, research, engineering, marketing, process technicians, and operators.
- Ability to work safely in chemical laboratory and manufacturing settings.
- Attention to detail when preparing samples for testing and conducting sample characterization
- Bachelor’s degree in related field of chemistry, chemical engineering, polymers, materials or other related fields
- Familiarity with a chemistry lab setting and ability to work with chemicals in a fume hood
- Basic knowledge of chemical and/or mechanical characterization polymeric materials
- Ability to occasionally travel to vendors, customers and plant sites around the globe
- Experience with polymer coating formulation and/or pressure sensitive adhesives preferred
- Relevant Co-op or internship experience preferred
- Experience with office automation and advanced data analysis tools plus
WHO WE ARE:
Saint-Gobain Research (SGR) North America is one of Saint-Gobain’s largest industrial research laboratories. The center is home to more than 400 employees working at the leading edge of innovation on multidisciplinary industrial research, preparing the future by designing tomorrow's products and processes across an amazing variety of markets and technical disciplines. Since 1985, SGR North America has been supporting existing businesses, developing future businesses, and nurturing talent.
Saint-Gobain designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. They can be found everywhere in our living places and our daily life: in buildings, transportation, infrastructure and in many industrial applications. They provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.