Senior Advertising Associate
Hachette Book Group is hiring a Senior Advertising Associate to join our growing in-house agency team. This role will report to the VP of Advertising and work collaboratively across Hachette publishing divisions.
In 2021, Hachette established a team that maneuvers between media strategy, creative development, and ad ops - and also liaises frequently with organic content marketers to advise their work across the company. Each member of the team takes primary client responsibility over a portfolio of our publishing imprints, planning campaigns to launch and promote books in every genre (covering titles by their imprints’ authors, primarily) collaborating with the group to manage projects, and advancing strategic learning across the company.
As we add to the team, we are looking for a marketing generalist to learn and grow with us. Our ideal candidate has some experience buying paid media in at least one direct or self-service channel, a real interest in publishing, cultural products or advertising. We will give highest consideration to candidates with experience executing Facebook, Amazon or AdWords campaigns – understanding from work in one of their ads managers will demonstrate that experience to us. This is not simply a paid social coordinator’s job, but this person will manage social campaigns hands-on for some of our publishing divisions.
The ideal candidate demonstrates the ability to take a discussion limited to tactics or executions (making a simple buy, “boosting” posts, or placing an order with a media partner) and elevate it. They will be able to come in and, though still learning, push teams to think about campaigns holistically, to look at how multiple campaigns come together to meet business goals, and advise on how best to do these things. They also have a facility with and points of view on the development of creative. They know how to spot trends.
Finally, meticulous attention to detail will be required as this person must oversee campaign work, billing and correspondence with multiple teams - along with an analytical mind, and the motivated curiosity to learn and evolve with the changing advertising landscape.
- Lead and collaborate in the development of campaigns with different publishing division marketing teams
- Smoothly run assigned campaigns, booking placements, delivering creative, overseeing timelines and budgets, and diligently managing tracking and payments
- Actively optimize campaigns to drive performance, and regularly communicate with publishing divisions about performance and insights
- Support the analysis and reporting of campaign results and take an active interest in analyzing performance data to evolve strategy and improve ROI
- Support team campaign planning, execution, and tracking processes, including trafficking, billing, and project management
- Support creative development/production by managing intake and routing of creative briefs, project timelines, asset management and creative delivery
- Make creative recommendations, track creative best practices, audit content, and use examples of best-in-class executions to inspire more adventurous, insightful and effective creative
- Communicate with creative resources including Hachette editors, designers and writers, as well as freelancers, creative vendors and platform teams
- Support a content and creative agenda, including building and maintaining a specs library, analyzing and reporting on creative approaches across publishing divisions, and driving a learning agenda by planning presentations from key vendors
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Familiarity with campaign evaluation metrics and media buying
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Working knowledge of analytics and media planning tools
- Familiarity with project management softwares like Basecamp, Asana, Smartsheets, etc.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to work with IT resources such as databases and spreadsheets, for the collection and management of information
- 2+ years experience as a campaign strategist, marketing associate/assistant, strategist, manager, planner or similar role
- Broad knowledge of media channels and advertising trends
- Experience offering creative recommendations and evaluating creative effectiveness
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your roll or exceptional workload issues or special projects. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability coverage, 401(k), incentive plan eligibility, educational training opportunities and more.