Capital Markets Intern - Summer 2023 (Hybrid Work Schedule)
At Freddie Mac, you will do important work to build a better housing finance system and you’ll be part of a team helping to make homeownership and rental housing more accessible and affordable across the nation.
As part of Freddie Mac’s return to the office pilot, all employees, contingent workers and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to be on-site unless they have an approved accommodation.
**This position is a hybrid work schedule, requiring 3 days in the office and 2 days remote**
This program is a ten-week rotational internship crafted to provide interns with the opportunity to gain an outstanding experience working across a broad spectrum of Freddie Mac’s key capital markets desks. The key focus is to develop future portfolio managers by providing real world training experiences with the goal of learning the full mortgage capital markets life cycle while also providing desk-specific knowledge. Interns will get a chance to learn, be mentored by and work alongside best-in-class professionals on various desks to analyze and support our mission of Making Home Possible through a diverse set of transactions, trades, and strategies over two five-week rotations from the following two buckets:
- Understanding Freddie Mac’s Credit Risk portfolio through pricing up front credit risk, handling the non-performing loan portfolio and structuring and selling Credit Risk Transfer (CRT) transactions
- Learning how Freddie Mac runs its market risk, in interest rate and debt capital markets, mortgage guarantee pipeline and the MBS securitization business
Freddie Mac’s Single Family and Capital Markets Divisions are responsible for handling the ~$3.3 trillion mortgage guarantee and investment portfolios through secondary mortgage market activities such as asset-liability management, loan purchases, servicing transactions, securitization, debt issuance and credit risk transfer.
We provide the cash flow, financing and capital market expertise that allows the company to achieve its stated mission of providing liquidity to the house market and making home possible.
In this position, you will be supporting portfolio manager activities by digging into data, projects or desk needs to improve desk functionality or produce analyses that will help the desks make more educated decisions. You will gain diverse perspectives working across desks; on one desk an analyst may be asked to help support and execute a transaction, whereas on another desk, you may be identifying trends through data work.
As you rotate, you will use the experience you have picked up to bring different, educated viewpoints to desks that embrace your knowledge and expertise. Throughout your rotations, you will learn not only how the Single Family and Capital Markets divisions work and interact with the rest of the firm, but you will pick up specific expertise about the desks you work on.
The summer will culminate in a final project on a topical concept to your internship or Freddie Mac as a whole, presented to the executive leadership of the program and other heads of desks. It will be a phenomenal guiding light throughout the summer for your learning and a tangible way to show progress to the program leaders!
Through these rotations, interns will build the following proficiencies and opportunities:
- Fixed income valuation and financial transaction analysis
- Expertise in the U.S. Economy
- Knowledge of primary and secondary mortgage financial system
- Quantitative abilities (e.g., Advanced Excel, SQL, SAS, Python, R)
- Professional networking skills and opportunities within the company and industry
- Mentorships to help guide your career
- Social community of analysts and fellow interns
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably but not only in Economics, Finance, Business, Engineering and/or Math
- Graduating in either December 2023 or May 2024
- Available to work from May-August 2023
Keys to Success in this Role:
- Ability to learn quickly and pick up new skills/concepts
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong problem-solving ability
- Microsoft Office skills required; Additional quantitative skills preferred
- Must be a great teammate and able to work collaboratively
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced trading floor environment
Current Freddie Mac employees please apply through the internal career site.
Today, Freddie Mac makes home possible for one in four home borrowers and is one of the largest sources of financing for multifamily housing. Join our smart, creative and dedicated team and you’ll do important work for the housing finance system and make a difference in the lives of others.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with differing abilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Notice to External Search Firms: Freddie Mac partners with BountyJobs for contingency search business through outside firms. Resumes received outside the BountyJobs system will be considered unsolicited and Freddie Mac will not be obligated to pay a placement fee. If interested in learning more, please visit www.BountyJobs.com and register with our referral code: MAC.
Job Category:Intern / Temporary
Freddie Mac provides anticipated base salary ranges where required by law.