Campus Undergraduate - 2023 Finance Data Science Summer Internship
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people, and businesses, we have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. Join #TeamAmex and let’s lead the way together.
Our industry is rapidly evolving, and we need courageous, quick thinkers who can shape the strategic decisions that lead our business forward. Whether it’s negotiating with some of our largest global partners or creating next year’s financial plan, you can influence both our day-to-day P&L and the future direction of the company. As part of the team, you can have the opportunity to learn and use the latest data tools and technologies and explore a range of roles to grow your career.
Business Unit/Role Specific Info
At American Express, we leverage Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to make smarter predictions and provide actionable insights. We empower colleagues to unlock potential through Data, Technology & Innovation. Our team’s goal is to help the organization make fact-based and scientifically developed decisions around risk and opportunities. Finance Decision Scientists work closely with other teams in Finance, Business, and Risk to define new methods of prediction and align them with business strategy. This position will be part of a highly talented team with strong intellectual curiosity. Our team is excited about solving business problems through data and technology.
Team’s Responsibilities include:
- We innovate and develop new and more sophisticated ways to predict top line metrics for our business. These predictions inform both short-term and long-term strategy for the senior management.
- We develop models and strategic insights to help deliver increasing value to our card members while managing one of the largest balance sheet items at American Express.
- We develop advanced models and analytical tools used to influence the company's decisions related to credit, fraud, and recessionary preparedness.
- We manage and fund the overall balance sheet of the company by focusing on efficient asset-liability management, liquidity risk management and capital adequacy.
- Hands-on experience managing/ leading projects using large amounts of data and application of advanced predictive analytics
- Proficiency in SQL and any of the following programming languages: Python, SAS, or R
- Machine learning development experience is strongly preferred
- Tableau or other visualization tools experience
- Highly motivated individual with desire to work on ambiguous projects, with the ability to break down and execute on complex ideas
- Be data-driven, outcome-focused, and fast learner
- Strong analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to explain complex mathematical concepts
- Ability to solve ad-hoc business problems independently and projects while adhering to deadlines
- Currently enrolled in a full-time undergraduate degree program in Applied Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Quantitative Finance
- Students must have a graduation date between December 2023 and June 2024
For more information, please visit our career website https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/careers/.
In order for your application to be considered, please complete the below steps:
- Click on the following link and select “Apply”: https://bit.ly/3vtFugY
- Create a new username and password
- Complete and submit your application
The final application deadline is Wednesday October 26th at 11:59PM ET.
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That's why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
If the role you are applying for is designated as hybrid or onsite, you will be required to demonstrate that you have completed your primary COVID-19 vaccination series (i.e. 2 doses for Moderna/Pfizer and 1 dose for J&J), in order to work in or visit any of our offices. This requirement is subject to legally required accommodations.
US Job Seekers/Employees - Click here to view the “EEO is the Law” poster and supplement and the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters to access the three posters.