22100 - Library Assistant, for Democracy Resource Center (DRC)
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Library Assistant, for the Democracy Resource Center (DRC). This position is based in Washington, D.C.
Under the supervision of the Senior Manager of the Democracy Resource Center assist with library operations, manage library purchases, add new materials, maintain the print and digital collection of the library, and assist with outreach and marketing initiatives.
- Under the supervision and guidance of the Senior Manager of the Democracy Resource Center assist with library operations – including circulation, inter-library loan services, library orientations, and the DRC’s outside borrowing program.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Manager copy catalog and process all books, reports, and audio/visual materials received by the library including those produced by NED grantees.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Librarian process and maintain all print and electronic periodicals received by the library including those produced by NED grantees.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Librarian assist with the DRC’s digital library initiatives.
- Assist with DRC marketing initiatives by managing and producing content for the DRC’s social media accounts on Twitter and Facebook, creating and distributing the new books received list and thematic book lists in support of NED events and international initiatives related to NED’s work, producing and distributing the weekly table of contents service, The DRC Weekly.
- Work with the Senior Manager of the Democracy Resource Center to process and maintain records of library purchases, request review copies of books, and contact vendors to claim missing publications.
- Assist in compiling and sending out daily DRC news service, Democracy Today.
- Provide NewsEdge news searches covering the MENA region.
- Assist patrons with reference, research, and instruction service as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Experience working in a library or information center.
- Other Qualifications:
- Social media proficiency particularly on Twitter and Facebook.
- Experience using databases, preferably OCLC Connexion, OCLC WorldShare Management Service, and Omeka.
- Experience with copy cataloging.
- Computer proficiency, especially in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Knowledge of one or more foreign languages is not necessary but preferred, especially French, Arabic, or Chinese.
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Ability to set priorities, organize time efficiently, and work independently and as part of a team.
This position is part of the NED Bargaining Unit.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references, of which one should be a supervisor. Please, no phone call inquiries.
The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics covered by applicable law. The NED is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation for all qualified individuals and bases all employment decisions on qualifications, merit, and business need. The NED believes that diversity and inclusion amongst our team members are critical to our success as an organization operating globally and seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.