Help Desk Technician
Help Desk Technician, Washington, DC
Cogent Communications is a global, Tier 1 facilities-based ISP, consistently ranked as one of the top five networks in the world and is publicly traded on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the ticker symbol CCOI. Cogent specializes in providing businesses with high speed Internet access and Ethernet transport services. Cogent's facilities-based, all-optical IP network backbone provides IP services in over 216 markets globally. Since its inception, Cogent has unleashed the benefits of IP technology, building one of the largest and highest capacity IP networks in the world. This network enables Cogent to offer large bandwidth connections at highly competitive prices. Cogent also offers superior customer support by virtue of its end-to-end control of service delivery and network monitoring. A full benefits package takes effect within 30 days of employment. Matching 401k and stock options are also included.
The Help Desk Support Technician is responsible for supporting and maintaining the operations status of all client and mobile devices and peripherals for the organization. This individual will work closely with other members of the Information Technology Team (Network, Software Development, Unix and Windows) within Cogent. The individual will perform administration and maintenance for hardware and software which allows for day-to-day operations of a global IT environment.
· Provide first-level contact and problem resolution for all users with hardware, software and applications problems via phone, email and ticketing system
· Maintain communications with employees throughout the problem resolution process
· Create, modify and manage Active Directory objects via Windows Server
· Deploy hardware and software including imaging of Windows operating systems, software installation, restoration of user data, assembly, cable management, and peripheral connections
· Desktop and laptop hardware troubleshooting
· Perform inventory and asset tracking duties
· Support company cybersecurity efforts on all clients
· Maintain and update computer and systems documentation
· Degree in an IT-related field or equivalent experience
· 2+ years of working experience as 1st Level Support / User Helpdesk
· Solid expertise in current Microsoft desktop operating systems and application software: MS Windows 10 / MS Server 2016, 2019/ MS Office 2016, 2019 / MS Exchange 2013, 2019 / MS SCCM
· Solid knowledge of personal computer hardware configuration and setup
· Basic knowledge of DNS, FTP, TCP/IP, file and print servers
· Experience in using Active Directory, Creating and managing accounts
· Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, conducive to team development
· Excellent telephone and face-to-face communication skills
· Ability to multitask in a challenging, fast-paced environment
· Good communications skills in English, both verbal and written
· Creative and innovative in problem solving
· Availability to work after hours and weekends
· Capable of writing and presenting detailed documentation
· Frequently remains in a sitting/stationary position during the work day
· Operates a computer and performs desk-based computer tasks continually; frequently viewing a computer screen
· Rarely lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling objects and/or equipment that weighs up to 50 pounds
To best support your success, this is an in-office position five days a week, allowing for focused mentorship, training and personal coaching.
Cogent has adopted a mandatory vaccination and booster policy which requires all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated (including booster shots when eligible) against COVID-19. Prior to beginning employment, new employees must provide proof of vaccination or apply for and receive an accommodation to be exempt from the policy.
By submitting an application or resume for this position, I understand that is an in-office position and agree to abide Cogent’s mandatory vaccination policy.
To apply for the Help Desk Technician position, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Cogent Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.