Scientist 1 - MDC
The Department of General Services, Division of Consolidated Laboratories (DCLS) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as a Scientist in the Molecular Detection and Characterization (MDC) laboratory. The selected candidate will be trained to perform analysis on a variety of sample types for the detection of agents of public health significance and may be requested to perform testing in biosafety level three (BSL3) laboratories as needed. Testing methodologies include, but are not limited to nucleic acid isolation and standard and real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing. In addition, duties will also include assisting with the development and validation of new methods, performing QA/QC procedures, maintaining accurate records, and maintenance of equipment.
Weekend and after hours work may be required periodically in response to public health emergencies.
This is a full-time restricted position funded by a federal grant and includes state benefits.
Qualified state employees may be eligible for student loan forgiveness through the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). As a full-time employee with the Virginia Department of General Services, Division of Consolidated Laboratory Services, you may be able to take advantage of this program! Visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site for more information including eligibility requirements.Minimum QualificationsAll potential candidate’s must posses the following minimum qualifications:
- Meet Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) requirements for testing personnel in a high complexity testing laboratory as defined by 42 CFR 493.1489.
- Knowledge of Molecular Biology testing.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of the operation and troubleshooting of laboratory instrumentation.
- Knowledge of QA and QC procedures and how to properly document and interpret QC data.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety practices.
- Work successfully in a team environment.
Preferred QualificationsPreferred work related skills and experience include the following:
- Experience performing high complexity, high volume Polymerase Chain Reaction (Standard and Real-Time) testing.
- Knowledge of computerized laboratory information management systems; spreadsheets, MS Office products, and laboratory software programs.
- Experience working in a biosafety level three environment.
- Experience with automated nucleic acid extraction instrumentation.
- Experience with the development and validation of new methods.