Grade 4 Teacher
GRADE 4 TEACHER
James Russell Lowell Elementary School
Watertown Public Schools
Job ID: 3997227
Application Deadline: August 22, 2022
Posted: August 8, 2022
Starting Date: August 31, 2022
Position: Grade 4 Teacher
Location: Lowell Elementary School
Reports to: Principal
Affiliation: WEA Unit A
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
Demonstrate the competencies and behaviors needed to improve student preparedness and mastery and to support the core values, vision, and mission of Watertown Public Schools
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates mastery of related subject matter, instructional skills, and resource materials for course(s) taught.
- Creates lesson plans, aligned with current state and district standards, which drives instruction through formative assessment and differentiation.
- Maintains a safe, organized classroom, which supports students’ independent learning, collaboration and choice.
- Utilizes a variety of effective instructional and management techniques.
- Provides a variety of assessments and uses assessments for planning and instruction
- Provide consistent, immediate feedback to student learning and asks analytical questions that elicit students’ responses that incorporate prior knowledge, life experience and interests that are directly related to the content objective.
- Monitor and maintain a positive classroom environment that supports the school wide behavior expectation in which most students are engaged, incorporates mutual respect and provides cooperative learning opportunities.
- Uses available technology/instructional media to enhance the students’ learning experiences.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate relationships with students, parents, staff, and community members by communicating in a tactful, courteous, and confidential manner.
- Appropriately communicates and interacts with other professional staff in academic planning and school committee work.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and school related activities and committees.
- Demonstrates a commitment to continuous professional growth and works with administrator to formulate and complete professional growth plans.
- Massachusetts Educator License Elementary 1 - 6
- SEI Endorsement Required
Welcome to James Russell Lowell Elementary School!
History of the James Russell Lowell School The James Russell Lowell School opened in September 1927. It was named after James Russell Lowell, poet and United States Ambassador to England and, at a later date, Spain. As trustee of his wife’s estate, James Russell Lowell deeded to the Town of Watertown a parcel of land to be used as a school. The original James Russell Lowell School location is now the site of the North Branch Library. When it became necessary to build the present larger school, the name of the school was retained. In 1996, an addition was built and the old part of the building was renovated. James Russell Lowell lived near Longfellow House in Cambridge but made frequent visits to Watertown, as his wife Maria Lowell was a Watertown native. His description of a winter brook in “The Vision of Sir Launfal” is said to have been inspired by a brook in Watertown.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Watertown Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience preferred
- Master degree preferred
- Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
Qi Chen, Assistant Principal
175 Orchard Street
Watertown, MA 02472