Data Engineer (mid-level)
Our company has pioneered the use of geospatial data to understand population dynamics. Governments and organizations around the world rely on Fraym data to make strategic and operational decisions while tackling challenges like inequity and insecurity, climate vulnerability, public health, and more. Our advanced ML models are the first to generate high-resolution insights about human characteristics and behaviors at the sub-neighborhood level and make them commercially available at scale.
Summary of Position
Fraym is seeking a mid-level data engineer to build out our data pipelines and enable data science workflows at scale. Your contributions will support decisions made in emerging markets across commercial, international development, and intelligence sectors.
You will lead a project team responsible for implementing Fraym’s data engineering pipelines and will play a critical role in scaling our existing solutions. You will be responsible for creating new data pipelines, improving existing pipelines, and transitioning these technologies to the cloud. Additionally, you will help identify and brainstorm solutions for gaps in our data management architecture which will manage our geospatial (raster and vector) and survey data. Preference will be given to applicants who are looking to specialize in data engineering.
You should have experience in and a passion for data engineering and building cloud-based data pipelines and applications. We are looking for someone who can think of and implement creative solutions to managing diverse and unstructured data. Our team comes from a variety of backgrounds and is committed to improving access and representation in tech -- we are looking for colleagues who share this sentiment and will help promote diversity, equity, and inclusion both internally and externally.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Designing ETL pipelines that ensure the quality, consistency, and availability of data used in machine learning workflows
- Contributing to the design and implementation of AWS-based data management systems that integrate household surveys, satellite imagery, and other spatial data
- Working with data scientists to create tools that simplify internal analysis and data discovery within our data lake
- Project-managing data engineering projects and products
- Collaborating with business development and client facing teams to expand data delivery options
- Collaborating with software engineers to deploy pipelines to the cloud
- Mentoring other data scientists and engineers on the Data Science team
You will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Interest in or passionate about Fraym’s mission
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- At least 2 years of data engineering; preference will be given to applicants with practical experience building and maintaining cloud-based data processing pipelines
- Essential skills: Experience with databases, Object Oriented Programming in Python, engineering best practices (testing, deployment management, containerization)
- Experience or ability to collaborate within a distributed team and communicate effectively with colleagues of different technical backgrounds
- Ability to quickly develop skills, learn new tools, and solve problems independently.
- Bonus Points For Experience working with raster or survey data, common AWS services, scoping tools for a tech stack, SQL/Postgres databases, columnar storage, automation, and orchestration tools, and/or RESTful APIs
Working at Fraym:
● Competitive, market-based salary commensurate with experience, including base salary and annual performance bonus
● Professional development and learning opportunities
● Stay healthy and happy through our comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, including other ancillary benefits
● Save for the future with our 401(k) program
● Health & Wellness stipend for self-care
● Take time away from the office through our Flexible Paid Time Off
● We are committed to fostering a positive work-life balance culture
● Be a part of a community and take part in our lunch & learns and team outings
● We are a “Growth Culture” that provides opportunities for career advancement and professional development in a fast-growing company
Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply. We have a learning culture, and if this job description sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you.
Fraym recruits employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, family status, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.