Physical Education Teacher, Promise Academy
HCZ requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Accordingly, successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of vaccination prior to commencement of employment.
We are seeking a Physical Education Teacher for our Elementary or High School. The ideal Physical Education Teacher candidate will bring a passion for the mission of HCZ Promise Academy, an understanding and respect for the culture of all residents of Harlem, and a desire for working in a school setting that fosters a love for children.
When students enter HCZ Promise Academy Charter Schools, we make a promise to help each and every one get to and through college. Everything we give our students—from world-class instruction and exceptional extracurricular activities to social emotional support and healthy meals—is aimed at fulfilling that promise. Our schools have a longer school day and year, helping us keep our kids safe and engaged, ensure their success in core subject areas, and give them an immersive, well-balanced education that includes exposure to the arts, daily physical activity, and field trips to museums, performances, sporting events and, of course, college campuses.
To support our teachers, we provide them with bi-weekly professional development, access to top-of-the-line technology, including a personal laptop, and Smartboards and tablets in the classroom. Additionally, our teachers are surrounded by colleagues and professionals—ranging from academic and instructional coaches and deans of students, to guidance counselors and social workers—all committed to ensuring the success for every child. As a teacher at Promise Academy, you will take your place in a team that seamlessly surrounds children in a safe, enriching environment, making sure the reach their full potential.
We are seeking a Physical Education Teacher. The ideal Physical Education Teacher candidate will bring a passion for the mission of HCZ Promise Academy, an understanding and respect for the culture of all residents of Harlem, and a desire for working in a school setting that fosters a love for children.
Physical Education Teacher Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach and lead students in fitness and physical education
- Increase overall physical and health awareness
- Plan and implement physical education curricula and lesson plans
- Develop a culture of teamwork, participation and collaboration among students
- Facilitate small group targeted instruction in different subjects as needed
- Maintain and communicate high academic and personal expectations for all students
- Follow the school’s policies and procedures for student conduct and discipline, and refuse to tolerate classroom disruptions
- Develop and use a variety of assessments (e.g., exams, written work, and public performances) that frequently measure student progress
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues
- Share responsibility for grade level and school-wide activities
- Opportunity to work Saturdays during test prep season – additional compensation provided
Physical Education Teacher Qualification, Skill and Knowledge Requirements
- A dedication and commitment to the mission of HCZ Promise Academy
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years teaching experience is required
- 2 – 5 years teaching experience in an urban school setting is desired
- New York State certification in Physical Education required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
We offer a $6,000 signing bonus (after 60 days of employment) and highly competitive salaries with generous performance-based bonuses, a comprehensive benefits package, and a low student-teacher ratio. For Lead Teacher positions, we also offer eligibility for up to $30K in student loan forgiveness after 12 months of employment. To be considered, interested applicants must apply online or submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone inquiries or recruiters please. Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants. HCZ is an EOE.