Health Consulting Actuarial Analyst - Dallas/Houston - College Program 2022-2023
WHO WE ARE
We’re Mercer – we believe in building brighter futures by redefining the world of work, reshaping retirement and investment outcomes, and unlocking real health and well-being. Mercer’s more than 25,000 employees are based in 44 countries and the firm operates in over 130 countries.
THE POSITION: Health Consulting Actuarial Analyst
Mercer’s 2,500+ US Health consultants deliver disciplined, consistent approaches, to benchmarking, data analytics, financial management, marketing, compliance and communication. Our client focus, integrity, expertise, and innovation are why clients choose Mercer. We are committed to setting the industry standard for ethical and transparent business practices.
Health actuarial analysts work closely with senior consultants in the design, financing, pricing, and administration of client companies’ health and welfare programs. You will be part of teams that plan designs, contribute strategies, and conduct benchmark studies that meet your client’s benefit and financial needs. Our stimulating and learning-filled environment will help you build strong relationships with your colleagues and our clients.
To learn more about Mercer’s Health practice, please visit https://www.mercer.com/what-we-do/health-and-benefits.html
WHAT WE VALUE
- Strong analytical skills, both quantitative and qualitative
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office—Word, Excel, and PowerPoint—and advanced programming skills are a plus (e.g. R, Python, SAS and SQL)
- Knowledge of data analysis, project management, and presentation design
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Intellectual curiosity; seeking opportunities to develop new skills
- Ability to work in teams and be flexible to work under tight deadlines and changing client needs
- Superior organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- A bachelor's degree with graduation year in Fall 2022 or Spring 2023 and concentration(s) in actuarial science, math, statistics, economics, engineering and/or other related field is highly preferred
- Minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
- A commitment to achieving a Society of Actuaries (SOA) designation as demonstrated by having successfully passed at least one SOA exam or other related professional certification
- Legal work authorization to work in the U.S. on a permanent and ongoing basis without the need for sponsorship now or in the future
WHAT A TYPICAL DAY LOOKS LIKE
- Develop employee contribution strategies to meet employer cost objectives
- Assist in the development of customized pricing and valuation models
- Price medical and prescription drug plan designs using proprietary Mercer tools
- Analyze vendor renewals and plan experience and estimate future plan costs
- Develop basic underwriting and actuarial skills as you build an awareness of health care plan design, cost factors, and the renewal process as well as industry products, services, and tools, including Mercer Health products, the vendor/insurance carrier market, and budget setting, rate setting, and evaluation
WHAT’S IN IT FOR ME?
- Be challenged to deliver impactful solutions for major organizations and have a direct impact on their employees
- Fine tune your natural skills and learn new ones
- The opportunity to work with some of the smartest and most energetic people in the industry, who will coach, challenge and enable you.
- Excellent growth, mobility and advancement opportunities
- Best-in-class actuarial study program to ensure you are supported in your journey to become a credentialed actuary, including competitive salary increases commensurate with your achievements
- The opportunity to network, share views, and learn from others by getting involved with our Business Resource Groups: PRIDE, Women@Mercer, Racial & Ethnic Diversity and Rising Professionals Network.
- The chance to make a positive difference in your local community by using your paid time off to volunteer through events organized by Mercer Cares, our community outreach and volunteerism BRG.
- A huge variety of virtual learning and development resources to support your personal and professional growth.
- Competitive rewards supporting your financial wellbeing, including compensation, retirement savings, stock purchase plan, and more.
- Offerings geared at your overall wellness, including comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and fitness benefits, as well as life insurance and child and elder care programs.
- Generous paid time off and a flexible work schedule that accommodates your home life and commitments outside of work.
We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients regardless of their gender expression or identity, marital or civil partnership status, ethnic origin, nationality, age, background, disability, sexual orientation or beliefs. We are proud of our inclusive culture where everyone feels empowered to bring their whole selves to work and thrive. We offer several Business Resource Groups (BRGs) that employees can participate in (MMC Pride, Rising Professionals, Racial, Ethnic & Multicultural Diversity) Learn more about our foundational values, mission and vision for the future by reviewing our Greater Good Policy.
Candidates must apply via the Mercer careers website to be considered. Please follow the link in your school career system to the posting on our website. You will be contacted only if you are selected for a first-round interview. The first-round interview will consist of an on-demand digital video interview through the HireVue platform.
Mercer believes in building brighter futures by redefining the world of work, reshaping retirement and investment outcomes, and unlocking real health and well-being. Mercer’s more than 25,000 employees are based in 44 countries and the firm operates in over 130 countries. Mercer is a business of Marsh McLennan (NYSE: MMC), the world’s leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people, with 76,000 colleagues and annual revenue of $17 billion. Through its market-leading businesses including Marsh, Guy Carpenter and Oliver Wyman, Marsh & McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment. For more information on working at Mercer, visit Inclusion and Diversity | Mercer. Follow Mercer on Twitter @Mercer. For a glimpse into our culture check out our intern blog site at https://mercercampus.wordpress.com/.
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.
For Colorado candidates, the applicable base pay for this role is $68,000. The base pay offered will be determined on factors such as experience, skills, training, location, certifications, and education. Decisions will be determined on a case-by-case basis. In addition to the base salary, this position may be eligible for performance-based incentives. We are excited to offer a competitive total rewards package which includes health and welfare benefits, tuition assistance, 401K savings and other retirement programs as well as employee assistance programs.