Analyst, Structured Finance
As part of JLL’s licensed broker-dealer, JLL Securities, LLC, the Structured Finance Group devises capitalization strategies for credit and structured investments and is a full–service provider of capital raising and advisory services for clients in the real estate industry. Its scope of client services provides solutions at both the operating company and asset level, including investment banking and financial advisory activities in addition to asset-level debt and equity placements across all asset types. The group utilizes its deep knowledge of finance, accounting, legal principles and structuring expertise to provide real estate investors, owners and occupiers with the optimal financing solution.
JLL Securities is looking to add an Analyst to its Structured Finance Group based in JLL’s Atlanta office. The Structured Finance Group is a fast-growing and dynamic business and a key part of JLL’s Investment Banking platform. The team is looking for an Associate who is seeking an exciting career opportunity to grow within a premier, boutique Real Estate Investment Banking platform. The Analyst will work with Senior Bankers to advise private real estate operators and developers, publicly-listed and non-traded REITs, private equity funds and institutional investors globally in capital strategy, private capital raising, strategic dispositions, restructuring, recapitalizations and land bifurcation strategies, among other services.
This position is focused exclusively on the placement of debt and/or equity for commercial real estate transactions. In addition to the involvement in every stage of a transaction, including underwriting, market research, property tours, preparation of offering memorandums, marketing and term sheet negotiation, closing and client meetings and events, the Analyst will begin to develop a client network and will work in a high-energy, team-focused environment.
- Conduct financial analysis and financial modeling, including property-level underwriting and valuation (dark value analysis); entity-level underwriting and valuation (REIT FFO and NAV); ABS securitization models; ground lease bifurcation; public and private credit underwriting; public comp analysis; lease vs. own analysis; and distressed debt recapitalizations
- Conduct market research and financial analysis using Bloomberg Terminal, Argus Enterprise, Trepp, SNL, Capital IQ, Real Capital Analytics, CoStar, EMMA, GIS MapIt, Moody’s Credit View, BlueVault, and Preqin, among others.
- Prepare underwriting documents highlighting salient risks and mitigants of a transaction
- Coordinate and communicate with external counterparties including bond counsel, accountants, rating agencies, etc.
- Build and maintain financial models to assess debt and equity financing alternatives for transactions
- Prepare offering memorandums for commercial real estate transactions, including research, financial modeling and composition of executive summaries.
- Manage the due diligence process and be the driving force in working through the marketing and closing processes for each transaction, and be in constant communication with the Producer, the market and the Client. Use this information from the marketing process to assist clients in making decisions related to their business plan and capital structure.
- Must be technically proficient in use of databases and be able to effectively identify what data from this system will be useful to determine trends and for preparation for pitches and meetings.
- Must understand and review real estate documents (leases, loan documents, appraisals, etc.) to determine if any issues exist and determine what could be a concern.
- Follow general current events and keeps bankers informed about critical issues relevant to current and potential clients.
- Develop and recommend financing alternatives to present to the Producer.
- Build a strong client network within the industry through meetings, events and involvement in real estate trade organizations.
- Participate in weekly office meetings with Producers to discuss deal flow, deal status, market conditions and review new client leads.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 1-3 years of experience in a financial analysis environment; mortgage or commercial real estate industry is preferred,
- Knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of Investment Banking
- Understanding of basic real estate fundamentals and commitment to superior client services.
- Self-motivated, team oriented, and strong time management skills to prioritize deadlines.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, quantitative, writing and communication skills; able to interface with clients, including top level executives.
- Strong writing skills with ability to communicate analytical and marketing data effectively.
- Strong research, analytical, and problem-solving skills. Ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative information.
- Ability to be an independent worker with a team player attitude.
- Obtain Series SIE, 7, 79 and 63 securities licenses within 8-12 months
- Bachelor’s Degree in Real Estate, Finance, Accounting, or related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent academic credentials and demonstrated interest in commercial Real Estate. Please include GPA on resume.
- Strong computer orientation and proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, and Word software is required.