Graduate Research Associate
Job description also available at: https://waternow.org/employment/.
Graduate Research Associate Description Fall 2022 and/or Spring 2023
WaterNow Alliance is a network of local water leaders working to advance sustainable, affordable, and climate resilient water solutions in their communities. We focus on innovative strategies to accelerate adoption of reuse and efficiency technologies, green infrastructure, watershed health, stormwater recapture, and groundwater management. Our goal is to support communities to become as water resilient as possible, as cost-effectively as possible, while protecting our natural resources for generations to come.
WaterNow Alliance (WNA) is seeking a Graduate Research Associate for a part-time role in the fall 2022 – spring 2023 semesters. Graduate Research Associate positions allow students the opportunity to gain valuable experience with a fast-growing sustainability-focused non-profit through hands on tasks and real responsibility.
This position will support WaterNow’s direct work with water agencies and municipalities through WaterNow Alliance’s Project Accelerator program. The Project Accelerator program has partnered with over 20 communities to support the development of sustainable, affordable, and climate-resilient solutions to stormwater, drinking water, and wastewater management challenges. The collaborations have ranged from the creation of a green street roadmap and ordinance; regional outdoor water efficiency program; direct install program of efficient fixtures for low-income populations; and more.
The Graduate Research Associate will work closely with team members to support project implementation of WaterNow’s Project Accelerator projects, through the steps below:
- Work closely with local utilities and municipalities on project design and implementation.
- Research and analyze water policies, programs, and resources that advance local, state, and federal level sustainable water management practices.
- Participate in informational interviews with water agency and municipality staff to identify key program elements and inform project work.
- Write memos and reports documenting program elements, best management practices, and lessons learned from implementation.
A strong candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Excellent writing and research skills, proficiency with MS Word and Excel
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience in sustainable water programs and policy
- Experience with or interest in local government • High degree of professionalism
- Organized with good attention to detail
- Strong work ethic
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Graduate student (enrolled in or recently graduated from a program)
- Positions are available: - Fall (September – December 2022) - Spring (January – May 2023) - Or a combination of both; dates for positions are flexible
- We require a minimum time commitment of 10 hours per week.
This is a volunteer position and work stipends are not available. WaterNow Research Associate positions may be eligible for course credit, and we will support applicants’ efforts to receive credit.