Data Engineer-Man Numeric
About Man Numeric
Man Numeric is a fundamentally-driven systematic investment manager. It takes a bottom-up approach to research and security selection and distils its findings into systematic processes that are applied across regions, styles and capitalisations. It offers long-only and alternative investment strategies that invest in both equity and credit markets.
The firm’s research-driven culture, which is underpinned by advanced technology and data science techniques, focuses on innovation and enhancement across alpha generation, risk management, portfolio construction and implementation.
Man Numeric has capabilities in systematic responsible investing, offering dedicated quantitative strategies and incorporating proprietary ESG and Climate alpha signals across a diverse range of strategies.
Founded in 1989 and becoming part of Man Group in 2014, Man Numeric’s funds under management were $32.0 billion at 30 June 2022. Further information can be found at www.man.com/numeric.
As a Data Engineer in Numeric Alpha Tech, you will be working hand-in-hand with our Quant Researchers and Data Science team in on-boarding, exploratory research, and production processing of new datasets and potential alpha sources.
Your challenges will be varied and will include:
· Exploration of and on-boarding data – manually and programmatically - from a multitude of different internal and external sources
· Curation of numerous varied data sets, financial and non-financial, and structured and unstructured in nature
· Work closely with the Data Engineering team and contribute to the ongoing development of Man’s central data platform, Codex
· Supporting the ongoing integrity of the data used by the quantitative research teams and production trading algorithms
Our systems are almost all running on Linux and most of our code is in Python, with the full scientific stack: numpy, scipy, pandas, scikit-learn to name a few of the libraries we use extensively. We implement the systems that require the highest data throughput in Java. For storage, we rely heavily on MongoDB and MS SQL.
We use Control-M and Airflow for workflow management, Kafka for data pipelines, Bitbucket for source control, Jenkins for continuous integration, Grafana + Prometheus for metrics collection, ELK for log shipping and monitoring, Docker for containerisation, OpenStack for our private cloud, Ansible for architecture automation, and Slack for internal communication. Our technology list is never static: we constantly evaluate new tools and libraries.
Alpha Tech has a small company, no-attitude feel. It is flat structured, open, transparent and collaborative, and you will have plenty of opportunity to grow and have enormous impact on what we do. We are actively engaged with the broader technology community.
· We regularly talk at leading industry conferences, and tweet about relevant technology and how we’re using it. See @manquanttech
· We host and sponsor Boston meetups and London’s PyData and Machine Learning Meetups
· We open-source some of our technology. See https://github.com/man-group
We’re fortunate enough to have a fantastic open-plan office overlooking the Boston harbour, and continually strive to make our environment a great place in which to work. Currently due to COVID-19, most of the technology staff now Work From Home full time, which is securely setup entirely remotely for new joiners. Whilst we can’t have all the same interactions face to face, we continue to hold regular remote social events.
We offer competitive compensation, a generous holiday allowance, various health and other flexible benefits. We are also committed to continuous learning and development via coaching, mentoring, regular conference attendance and sponsoring academic and professional qualifications.
Technology and Business Skills
We strive to hire only the brightest, best and most highly skilled, passionate technologists.
· Substantial programming experience in Python
· Experience of the challenges of dealing with large data sets, both structured and unstructured
· A knowledge of modern practices for data engineering and stream processing
· Proficient on Linux platforms
· Expert knowledge of one or more version control systems e.g. GIT
· Working knowledge of one or more relevant database technologies e.g. Oracle, MS SQL MongoDB.
· Experience mentoring junior employees and managing projects
· An excellent understanding of financial markets and instruments
· Prior experience of working with financial market data
· Relevant mathematical knowledge e.g. statistics, time-series analysis
· Proficient with a range of open source frameworks and development tools e.g. NumPy/SciPy/Pandas, Spark, Apache Kafka
· Proficient with building web apps in modern frameworks e.g. React
· Strong academic record and a degree with high mathematical and computing content e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or Physics
· Intellectually robust with a keenly analytic approach to problem solving
· Self-organised with the ability to effectively manage time across multiple projects and with competing business demands and priorities
· Focused on delivering value to the business with relentless efforts to improve process
· Strong interpersonal skills: able to establish and maintain a close working relationship with quantitative researchers, traders and senior business people alike
· Confident communicator: able to argue a point concisely and deal positively with conflicting views
Man Alpha Technology
Alpha Technology is a wholly front-office aligned business unit, responsible for all of the technology in Man Group that drives trading decision making. It numbers approximately 170 engineers who help drive technical innovation across the firm’s investment managers by application of a strong technology platform. It is structured into a number of distinct teams, some cross-cutting building technology and others aligned to an individual investment manager building specific quant or portfolio management tools, or systematic trading systems:
· Alpha Platform Technology – responsible for the common front-office platform, comprising Data Engineering, Python Research and Development Infrastructure and Linux High Performance Compute.
· Execution Technology – responsible for all Electronic Execution Technology and Trader facing tools.
· Risk Technology – responsible for front office Risk Technology and Risk Reporting.
· AHL Technology – responsible for technology specific to Man AHL, a quant systematic investment manager.
· GLG Technology – responsible for technology specific to Man GLG, a fundamental discretionary investment manager.
· Numeric Technology – responsible for technology specific to Man Numeric, a quant systematic investment manager.
· GPM Technology - responsible for technology specific to Man GPM, a private markets business focused on real-estate assets.