Professional Development Program Associate
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury.
Unum's two distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US and Colonial Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum also has significant US operations in Portland, Maine and Baton Rouge, Louisiana - and over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide.
The Professional Development Program provides Associates with high visibility enterprise-wide within Unum, as well as numerous opportunities to develop their career. The objective of the program is to develop and grow the Associate’s business acumen and leadership skills necessary at an accelerated pace to prepare them for a leadership role upon successful completion of the Program.
• The program consists of 3-4 cross functional job rotations over the course of 3-4 years.
• Job rotation assignments may vary from 12-18 months depending on the role, complexity, and business needs. Business area rotations may include but are not limited to Benefits, Underwriting, Customer Services, Enrollment, Finance, and Digital Transformation work.
• Associates will be assessed after each cross functional rotation and requalified before moving onto the next phase of the program. As an integral aspect of this program, Associates will be expected early on in each rotation to assume an active role in managing some important aspect of the business related to their assignment. Associates will provide feedback, suggestions and recommendations regarding process improvements, policies, and procedures to the business areas as they proceed throughout the program.
• This program includes a training and development component that occurs throughout the program. The training is focused on growing your business acumen and leadership skills.
• Participants will be assigned a leadership mentor for the duration of the program to support them in their individual professional growth through personalized development plans. Also, as an integral part of this Program, Associates will be expected to assume an active role in managing important aspects of the business related to their specific rotational assignment
The PDP Associate is the first of a two-level leadership development program. Upon successful completion of the second rotation, a PDP Associate is eligible to be promoted to a Sr. PDP.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
· Successfully complete 3-4 cross-functional job rotations including all required functional training; outstanding work performance while in the assigned roles; demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with others; self-directed in completing high quality work within established timelines. Work locations may include Chattanooga TN, Portland ME, Columbia SC, and Baton Rouge LA, and Dorking United Kingdom. It’s strongly encouraged that Associate’s experience rotations on two campuses.
· Work with functional management during business rotations to gain deeper knowledge of each function, the day-to-day operations, and interconnects with other parts of the business.
· Participate in and successfully complete all assigned training and development courses, assignments, and projects. Incorporate and leverage this knowledge into daily work performance.
· Work on and/or lead special projects, as assigned, that require research and analysis. May involve partnering with other business areas to identify and resolve issues.
· Continuous assessment of established training and work processes to identify areas for effectiveness and efficiency improvements. Contributes to operating effectiveness through information sharing, suggested process improvements and effective implementation of change.
· Working with assigned mentor, develop personal development plan to complement program components to expand professional growth.
· Maintain a strong and specialized working knowledge in assigned tasks and analysis of Unum’s products, services and business processes including, his/her specific business area, the issues and technical skills required to support the area.
· Communicate issues identified, proactively recommend the most appropriate/effective resolutions and present effectively to management and officers
· Serve as informal leader/mentor to more junior level peers.
· May manage small team.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Undergraduate degree with GPA of 3.3 or higher
· Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Economics or Math is preferred
· Strong internship or equivalent work experience for graduating college seniors
· Demonstrated leadership abilities
· Creative problem solving and strong analytical reasoning skills
· Highly motivated and self-directed
· Able to work independently with established timeframes
· Ability to think strategically and respond tactically in a dynamic environment
· Well organized and able to handle multiple priorities at one time
· Strong ability to influence, persuade, and negotiate with others
· Comfort with ambiguity
· Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to lead and navigate change
· Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills; adept at handling group dynamics
· Highly motivated individual that is able to take independent actions to solve business issues with limited direction from managers
· Meet the standards for this position, as defined in the Talent Management framework
· We seek highly motivated individuals with the intellectual curiosity to keep up with the fast pace, ever changing business environment. Our associates are inclusive leaders who are change agents in the work they do. They are self-starting individuals who enjoy collaboration, deliver innovative results, and possess effective communication skills.
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.