Investigative Assistant Intern - Spring and Summer 2023
This position is located in the Criminal Investigations Division: Homicide/Robbery Unit. The purpose of the Investigative Assistant Intern is to provide direct assistance to the detectives in the Homicide/Robbery Unit, Burglary/Larceny Unit, Special Victims Unit and the General Assignment Unit.
- Interns will be directly involved interviewing victims and witnesses in a variety of cases such as assaults, threats, missing persons, domestic assaults, larcenies and other property crimes
- Interns will be provided with orientation and guidance on how to conduct these interviews and work on each case with the assigned detective
- This internship will acquaint the student with the investigative process by actually being a part of the investigations
- Interns will conduct interviews, document statements and provide input to the detectives on disposition of cases
- An intern’s work may lead to identifying suspects to be prosecuted
Interns accepted for this assignment will complete the process with true investigative experience. The intern will develop strategies and make recommendations to the Detective and the intern will work closely with the Detectives throughout the investigative process. The Detectives will involve the intern in all phases of the investigation and treat them as colleagues.
*Special Summer 2023 Position: Latent Print Examiner: For summer 2023, we are offering a Latent Print Examination Internship for Summer 2023 only. If interested and you have a background on latent prints, please send inquiries to POLInterns@arlingtonva.us.
Application, Interview, Favorable completion of Police Polygraph Exam & Background Investigation
Check with your school's Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting the hiring offer to determine if this position satisfies the criteria for receiving academic credit.
For Fall Term: July 1
For Spring Term: October 1
For Summer Term: March 1
Minimum 20 hours per week (Monday-Friday during normal business hours)
Location and Contact
Arlington County Police Department
1425 N. Courthouse Road
Arlington, VA 22201