Economics Consultant - Analyst/Associate (2023 Start)
If your background is in Economics, Business, Finance, Financial Economics, Accounting, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or any other major focused on quantitative research, learn more about what you can do at CRA!
Who is Charles River Associates?
Charles River Associates® is a leading global consulting firm specializing in economic, financial, and management consulting services. CRA advises clients on economic and financial matters pertaining to litigation and regulatory proceedings, and guides corporations through critical business strategy and performance-related issues. Since 1965, clients have engaged CRA for its unique combination of functional expertise and industry knowledge, and for its objective solutions to complex problems.
Our practices that most frequently hire candidates with the backgrounds listed above (hiring locations are listed):
- Auctions (Boston)
- Competition (Boston, Chicago, College Station, Oakland, Salt Lake City, Toronto, Washington, D.C)
- Energy (Boston, New York, Toronto, Washington, D.C.)
- Finance (Boston, Chicago)
- Financial Economics (Washington, D.C.)
- Intellectual Property (Chicago, New York)
- Labor (Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Washington, D.C.)
- Life Sciences - Litigation (Toronto, Washington, D.C.)
You can learn more about our work by reviewing our Services and Industries on our website.
Our Commitment to Diversity
Charles River Associates is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our focus on equity and inclusion, we work to ensure a fair and consistent hiring process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
What Will I do at CRA?
- Work alongside and in a collaborative environment with talented and diverse colleagues, including PhD-trained economists, finance and accounting professionals (CFAs and CPAs), and valuation experts.
- Conduct economic and industry research while analyzing client materials to build an understanding of a case’s issues
- Perform/develop financial and economic analyses or valuation models to support case theories and present those results to colleagues and clients
- Program, build models, and perform regression analyses using languages such as Excel, Stata, R, Python, SQL, or SAS
- Develop familiarity with data that serves as input to these analyses, including company transactional data (e.g., confidential sales data or win/loss data), financial reporting, accounting statements, and social and economic survey data as well as non-financial measures of organizational performance
- Review and summarize analyst reports, academic literature, client documents, depositions, license agreements, and industry trade press
- Assist in the production and development of research summaries, expert reports, and the presentation of findings, including creation of visuals like tables and charts
- Ensure reliability of analysis through quality control review
How Will I Grow at CRA?
- A commitment to offering 100 hours of training annually through Formal and informal training programs, including:
- Research and analysis training program focused on technical skills, consulting skills and networking with colleagues
- Quarterly technical training taught by in-house experts and affiliated professors
- Presentation skills and management training
- Partnership with LinkedIn Learning featuring more than 13,000 courses
- For those considering a graduate program, annual workshops featuring small group Q&A with top admissions officers
- Flexible and continuous mentorship, coaching and feedback from an assigned senior staff colleague to help guide your career journey
- Leadership and collaboration opportunities in recruiting, training, corporate sports teams, volunteer activities in the local community, and social events
- In-house immigration support for foreign nationals and those conducting international business travel
- Wellness program to promote mental, physical, emotional, and financial well-being (e.g. nutrition counselling, financial wellbeing seminars, team fitness competitions)
- Superior benefits package
Exceptional candidates should demonstrate familiarity with several of these skills:
- Candidates who have participated in honors thesis, research apprenticeship, or research seminar programs are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Strong presentation and influencing skills
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to explain economic, financial and/or accounting concepts, and quantitative and qualitative analysis methods
- Experience in Excel, Stata, Python, R, SQL, SAS, ArcGIS/ArcPy, or Cloud computing (Databricks/Spark, Google Cloud, Azure, AWS)
What We are Always Looking for in a Candidate:
- Curious and analytical thinkers who can bring creative approaches to non-standard problems
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Eager to learn new skills and programming languages
- A demonstrated high level of initiative and leadership
- Strong teamwork and collaboration capabilities
- Excellent time management and task prioritization skills
- Clear and demonstrated interest in consulting through coursework, work experience, activities, or attendance at CRA recruiting events
Interested in applying?
To be considered for a position in North America, we require the following:
- Cover letter – please describe your interest in CRA and how this role matches your goals. Also, please note if you have interest in a particular practice and/or a location preference.
- Resume – please include current address, email, and telephone number
- Transcript – may be unofficial. Note: you must be graduating from an undergraduate or masters program for this role. If you have work experience, please visit our Careers Site to see currently open roles.
- Writing Sample – independently authored and includes your commentary on a quantitative analysis
If you are interested in applying for one of our international locations, please click here to view and apply for available jobs.
Work Location, Flexibility, and COVID Safety
We believe that an in-person environment provides the best opportunity for CRA to deliver on its promise of career growth and development for all colleagues. That said, CRA values the health, safety, and wellbeing of our colleagues and will require proof of vaccination for employment with CRA US offices (except in the case of medical or religious exemption) and proof of vaccination for entry to our Toronto office. We provide our colleagues with the day-to-day flexibility to periodically work from home. Due to the changing nature and impact of COVID, our protocols are fluid and may change in accordance with government and regulatory guidance. For those who begin the interview process with CRA, your recruiting point of contact will be available to answer any questions about work location and COVID safety you may have. Please note this is not a fully remote position.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer (EEO/AAE): Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled.