Data Scientist Intern – 2023 IBM NA Sales
Ranked by Forbes as one of the world’s best employers in 2021, IBM promotes growth and innovation to lead as we enter the era of hybrid cloud and AI – helping clients transform their business.As a Data Scientist, you will work with a technical pre-sales agile team to co-develop innovative business solutions. You will be directly impacting the world’s most influential enterprises and brands on the adoption of next-generation platforms.
This is a summer 2023 position. IBM’s comprehensive Sales Intern Program and industry-leading learning culture will prepare you with a strong foundation for client engagement success and skills to take with you at the conclusion of the internship. Our team environment is collaborative and experiential. You’ll be surrounded by bright minds and keen co-creators ready to assist as you apply practices that will compel our clients to invest in IBM’s products and services.
Your Role and Responsibilities
In this role, you’ll be the go-to subject matter expert, collaborating with Client Engineering colleagues from various roles to define solutions and lead the way in how they get built in the age of cloud and AI. This role is hands-on; co-creating using data science, machine learning, and programming skills in six-week client engagements.A ‘Day-in-the Life’ of a Data Scientist intern may include, but not be limited to:
- Growing skills and knowledge in consultative sales, technical solutions, and industry applications to apply during client engagements.
- Contributing to a pre-sales Client Engineering team to understand client business problems and propose solutions via co-creation of proof of concept and minimal viable solutions.
- Translating business problems into leading-edge analytics solutions using consulting skills, industry expertise, and technical knowledge.
- Delivering meaningful insights and predicts emerging trends to inform business solutions that optimize client value.
- Applying data engineering techniques to gather, prepare, cleanse, and transform client data for analysis and AI automation.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Confidence to engage new customers and deliver an elevated experience.
- Motivation to achieve sales, business objectives, and high client satisfaction.
- Strong analytic, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills combined with an agile process.
Opportunities are available in: Atlanta GA, Boston MA, Chicago IL, Dallas TX, New York NY, San Francisco CA, and Washington DC.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Registered undergraduate (rising Junior or rising Senior) university student.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Data Science, Math, Statistics, Engineering or equivalent technical degree/experience.
- Working knowledge using data analytics tools / languages such as Python, R, SQL or language in similar discipline.
- Demonstrate a growth mindset; current on technical growth in the data science space.
- Conversant about technology trends and how it is being applied to address business challenges.
- Professional verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Proven team collaboration and leadership.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- At least 3 months experience in data analytics tools / languages such as Python, R, SQL, or similar disciplines.
- Knowledge of data science libraries and frameworks, such as, Jupyter Notebooks, scikit-learn, Pandas, Spark.
- Specialization in areas such as NLP/NLU, prescriptive analytics and optimization, MLOps, AI solutions, machine vision, and/or data visualization.
- Experience includes all settings, such as coursework, informal or side projects, internships and work experience, leading to a result or achievement.
IBM has a global presence, operating in more than 175 countries with a broad-based geographic distribution of revenue. IBM’s Global Sales organization is a strategic sales business unit that manages IBM’s global footprint, working closely with dedicated country-based operating units to serve clients locally. These country teams have client relationship managers who lead integrated teams of consultants, solution specialists and delivery professionals to enable clients’ growth and innovation. By complementing local expertise with global experience and digital capabilities, IBM builds deep and broad-based client relationships. This local management focus fosters speed in supporting clients, addressing new markets and making investments in emerging opportunities. Additionally, the Technology Sales organization serves clients with expertise in their industry, as well as through the products and services that IBM and partners supply. IBM is also expanding its reach to new and existing clients through digital marketplaces.
This job requires you to provide your COVID-19 vaccination status with supporting documentation, where legally permissible.
Are you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world’s most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it’s time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities.
Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change – to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone.
It’s time to define your career.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.
Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business.
At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
Supplemental 1 employees may be eligible for paid holidays, paid sick time and Employee Stock Purchase Plan.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.