Data Analyst Co-Op/Intern
Home Base is a Red Sox Foundation and Massachusetts General Hospital Program. Our mission is to heal the “invisible wounds” of Veterans, Service Members and their families, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and traumatic brain injury (TBI), by connecting them to world class care. Home Base provides clinical care and support services, as well as community education, and innovative research. We provide clinical care to currently serving men and women (Active duty, National Guard, and Reserve), Veterans, and their families.
Home Base seeks to hire 1 co-op/intern for approximately Jan-Jun 2023 who will support a variety of tasks, including ETL, data cleaning, data analysis, designing and building dashboards, validating data and results, ad-hoc reports, and documentation.
Qualified candidate is highly detail-oriented, responsible, highly organized, motivated, and able to thrive in a fast-paced team environment. Qualified candidate enjoys the challenge of a dynamic environment with evolving needs and multiple work streams.
This position is fully remote.
1. Dashboard development
1) Support and enhance existing Tableau dashboards, specifically as the data source changes from our old database to new data warehouse
2) Support new dashboards development
3) Iterate on dashboard design and function with various stakeholders
2. Data Analysis and Reporting
1) Support ad-hoc data analysis
2) Build ad-hoc ETLs for data report
3) Data validation
3. Data quality monitoring
1) Monitor key data quality metrics and engage with users as needed to understand and address root causes behind emerging issues
4. Data Cleaning
1) Write queries to identify data quality issues and repair data
2) Investigate the root causes of data quality issues and work with team members and stakeholders from other teams to determine appropriate data remediation plans
5. General Responsibilities
1) Create and maintain technical documentation
Skills & Competencies
1) Graduate student or advanced undergraduate in Health Informatics, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or a similar field
2) Familiarity with behavioral health clinical practice and/or research preferred
1) Knowledge of relational databases and data aggregation and transformation processes (e.g. pivot, merge, union, hierarchical grouping, aggregation functions)
2) Above average SQL skills (e.g. familiar with subqueries, multiple joins, and grouping), specifically, MySQL and/or SQL Server
3) Above average Tableau skills or other data visualization tools
4) Good data analysis, data validation and testing skills
5) Knowledge of Statistics (e.g., descriptive stats, p-value, chi-square, regression, etc.)
6) Comfortable using various types of data/sources in analysis and development
1) Ability to interpret and follow-through on data requirements and with strong attention to detail
2) Strength in independently validating and debugging code and analyses, including consulting documentation, Stack Exchange, etc.
3) Demonstrates personal initiative and time management skills, as well as the ability to work effectively as part of a team
4) Ability to meet deadlines and multitask efficiently
5) Excellent verbal and written communication skills
6) Interest in identifying improvement opportunities is a plus
Required: Senior undergrad or graduate student in Health Informatics, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or a related subject. Previous work experience is a plus.
Preferred coursework would include most of the following:
1. Introductory Databases and SQL
2. Data Warehousing
3. Data Quality Management
4. Dashboards or Data Visualization
5. Introductory Statistics