Risk Management Graduate Intern - Quantitative (Hybrid or Remote Work Schedule)
At Freddie Mac, you will do important work to build a better housing finance system and you’ll be part of a team helping to make homeownership and rental housing more accessible and affordable across the nation.
Employees, contingent workers and visitors are no longer required to show proof of vaccination to be on-site. Effective January 2023, Freddie Mac’s hybrid work arrangement is 3 days in the office (specifically Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday).
At Freddie Mac, you will do important work to build a better housing finance system and you’ll be part of a team helping to make homeownership and rental housing more accessible and affordable across the nation. Launch your career by doing more with us! Our internships and graduate programs give you the opportunity to tackle a variety of challenging roles and make your mark on several projects. From day one, you’ll gain confidence, see your ideas take shape and build a network of people who are invested in your success. We're not just the next step, we’re the right step!
ERM’s objective is to build strong, effective and efficient risk management in order to help manage risk and capital and the largest financial institutions. ERM is responsible for independent oversight and assessment of our financial and non-financial risks. We establish and communicate the enterprise risk framework — including corporate risk policies and standards — while promoting a strong risk culture.
Our internship offers you an opportunity to make meaningful contributions to the company’s risk management objectives and provides exposure to a wide spectrum of risk disciplines that will allow you to build on the knowledge and analytical skills you have acquired through your advanced studies. You will work with some of the brightest minds in the financial services industry and develop your knowledge of risk management, all while building valuable skills and making lifelong connections.
Upon successful completion of the three-month internship and your advanced degree, you may be extended an opportunity to join our Enterprise Graduate Risk Rotation program – a two-year analyst rotation program that allows you to work in different risk management areas such as Credit, Market and Model risk. Our analyst program is designed to help you build a broad skill set, develop a comprehensive foundation in risk management, and accelerate your career growth by gaining exposure to Freddie Mac’s enterprise-level risk management function.
As an intern, you will support short-term projects that contribute to division priorities, which may include one or more of the following activities:
- Evaluate and monitor the portfolio against established criteria and make recommendations for maintaining current level of risk or mitigating and reducing risks
- Develop, use and/or analyze quantitative models that assess the market, credit and/or operational risks of new and existing financial and mortgage products or portfolios
- Monitor and analyze the organization's market risk exposure on a day-to-day and long-term basis for various financial products, monitoring trading limits and reviewing transactions over the established limits
- Develop, validate or evaluate model input, methodology, implementation and output of models or analytic applications
- Execute and document complex financial models
- Provide model use risk assessments based on findings
- Provide modeling and analytical assistance to a line of business or product area, functioning as day-to-day technical specialist
- Evaluate and manage risks associated with the company's models and/or model applications
- Perform model validation reviews, establishing performance thresholds, researching model approaches, or creating alternative models
Participation in the program will support your continued professional development through access to targeted training courses and exposure to senior management. You will gain knowledge of risk management concepts in the financial industry and an understanding of critical organizational business and risk management functions, all while enhancing your own competencies, by:
- Building critical leadership, business and analytical skills
- Creating your personal brand and growing your internal network
- Obtaining support and guidance from dedicated program managers, experienced rotational analysts and knowledgeable mentors
- Participating in organized community service events to complement your professional development with personal growth
- Enrolled in full-time graduate degree program or foreign equivalent in data science, applied mathematics, economics, physics, econometrics, finance, engineering, statistics, computer science or related quantitative subject area
- Three to five years of professional work experience
- Graduating in either December 2023 or May 2024
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience working with large data sets
- Experience with economic and/or financial modeling, including advanced econometric/statistics estimation techniques
- Programming experience in Python, R, or other similar software applications
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, specifically Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience with Microstrategy and/or Tableau
Keys to Success in this Role:
- Execution focused, with proven initiative, personal accountability and leadership
- Strong consultation and influencing skills
- Ability to work with and collaborate within a team and across the broader organization
- Ability to work independently and adapt in a changing environment
- Curiosity to learn and challenge the status quo
- Interest or experience in financial markets, securitization, trading of financial products, or loan and security portfolio management
Current Freddie Mac employees please apply through the internal career site.
Today, Freddie Mac makes home possible for one in four home borrowers and is one of the largest sources of financing for multifamily housing. Join our smart, creative and dedicated team and you’ll do important work for the housing finance system and make a difference in the lives of others.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with differing abilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Notice to External Search Firms: Freddie Mac partners with BountyJobs for contingency search business through outside firms. Resumes received outside the BountyJobs system will be considered unsolicited and Freddie Mac will not be obligated to pay a placement fee. If interested in learning more, please visit www.BountyJobs.com and register with our referral code: MAC.
Time-type:Full timeJob Category:Intern / TemporaryFLSA Status:Non-ExemptFreddie Mac provides anticipated base salary ranges where required by law.