Special Education Life Skills Instructional Assistant - District WideJobID: 2306
EAST CENTRAL INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
Special Education Life Skills Instructional Assistant - District Wide
The position of a Special Education Life Skills Instructional Assistant - District Wide will be available immediately at East Central ISD for the 2022-2023 school year. All individuals (district employees included) who are interested in these positions must apply online through Frontline via the district website. The deadline for submitting an application is until the position is filled.
PRIMARY PURPOSE: Help meet physical and instructional needs of individual students with disabilities inside and outside the classroom. Assist with the implementation of Individual Education Plans (IEP), including self-help, behavior management, and instruction programs. Work under the general supervision of the principal and immediate direction of a certified teacher.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Help meet the individual needs of student(s) including transferring to and from wheelchairs; lifting and positioning; interpreting instructions; and assisting with physical needs and personal care such as feeding, bathroom needs, and personal hygiene.
- Help manage the behavior of assigned student(s). This includes intervening in crisis situations and restraining students exhibiting dangerous behavior, as appropriate and consistent with restraint criteria.
- Recognize differences in student’s special medical, physical, communicative, and emotional needs and adapt methods and integration accordingly.
- Work with assigned student(s) or small groups to develop motor skills and conduct instructional exercises assigned by the teacher.
- Release the teacher from routine tasks and participate in selecting, planning, organizing, evaluating, and supervising classroom activities, bus duty, and lunchroom duty as needed.
- Assist teacher in instructional media preparation and usage.
- Participate in community-based instruction trips.
- Attend to the physical needs of students when necessary, including assistance with feeding and toileting.
- Assist assigned students throughout the school day, inside and outside the classroom. This includes lunchroom, bus, and playground duty.
- Keep teachers informed of special needs or problems of assigned student(s).
- Maintain confidentiality consistent with federal, state and local requirements.
- Participate in professional development programs, faculty meetings, and special events as assigned.
- Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
- Must perform duties with a minimum of supervision.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Note: Not all applicants will be interviewed. Each applicant’s resume, application, and other available information will be considered in the screening process. Only those persons currently meeting all of the minimum requirements will be considered.
High school diploma or GED
Must have one of the following:
- 48 college hours with some emphasis on child growth or development or related area
- Treasuring our Paraprofessionals certificate
Valid Texas educational aide certificate
Ability to work with children with disabilities
Ability to to follow verbal and written instructions
Ability to communicate effectively
Desire to work with students with severe disabilities
Perform duties with minimum supervision
Two years experience working with children
EQUIPMENT USED: Standard office equipment including computer and peripherals; standard instructional equipment; other specialized and adaptive equipment used by students
WORKING CONDITIONS: Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors: Maintain emotional control under stress; work with frequent interruptions. Frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing, and pulling, carrying, and running. Frequent light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds); occasional heavy lifting (45 pounds or over) and positioning of students with physical disabilities, controlling behavior through physical restraint, assisting non-ambulatory students, and lifting and moving adaptive and other classroom equipment. Work inside and outside (exposure to the sun, heat, cold and inclement weather); exposure to noise; exposure to biological hazards.
PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT: 187 Days
SALARY: Paraprofessional Pay Grade 204