Plumbing/Fire Protection Designer
SMMA has an exciting opportunity for a Plumbing/Fire Protection Designer to work on stimulating projects at our Providence, RI or Cambridge, MA office. We are an integrated design firm that unites a dynamic mix of architects, engineers, interior designers, technologists, researchers, and industry experts, driven to provide responsible, well-crafted, venturesome, and beautiful design solutions to clients in the Boston area and beyond. United by a common purpose, we thrive on cross-discipline collaboration and welcome good ideas from wherever they come. We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth. Working alongside a project leader, the candidates will be expected to provide new ideas and share knowledge that will advance each project, the firm’s mission, and their professional careers.
- Revit design experience and the ability to learn and become proficient in Revit design software.
- This position will assist a Lead Engineer on assigned projects of various types and applications. A balance of technical, communication and organizational skills is needed for this role.
- Technical: basic knowledge and fundamental experience in the range of building Plumbing and Fire Protection systems and applications; the ability to engage in technical discussions with their project lead engineer or as part of a project team meeting.
- Communication: verbal and written communication skills to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical people; comfort in representing the trade in project team discussions.
- Organizational skills: general time management, coordinating resources and meeting deadlines.
- Codes: knowledge or familiarity with applicable building codes is favorable (e.g. NFPA, State Codes, federal/UFC codes).
- Open to entry-level or candidates with experience in building systems design and leading design projects.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Civil Engineering.
- REVIT experience.
- FE is preferable but not required.
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT and Rensselaer alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into seven studios of market focus: Corporate, Commercial, Life Science, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Advanced Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
- Employee-owned firm with Employee Stock Ownership Program
- Hybrid work-from-home policy
- Competitive benefits including paid time-off, company-funded MA Paid Family and Medical Leave, company-paid dental plan, company-paid life insurance, and 401(K) matching
- Employee Assistance Program (includes confidential emotional support, legal guidance, and financial resources)
- Mentor/protégé program
- Educational reimbursement
- Licensure and membership reimbursement
- “Lunch and Learns” with internal and external speakers