Data Engineer, Alternative Data
Nasdaq's Alternative Data group specializes in creating unique and insightful data products from non-traditional data sources.
Well-known examples of Alternative Data include sentiment measures, real-time tracking of vehicles via GPS transponders, satellite monitoring of industrial facilities, and consumer insights gleaned from anonymized credit card transactions. These datasets are often considered “alternative” because they do not fall in the traditional categories of data used by the financial industry: stock prices, company fundamentals, options and futures, and so forth. Their importance in the financial markets is increasing rapidly as hedge funds and active asset managers are eager for data that offers predictive insights about the performance of individual companies, sectors, and the economy as a whole.
As a leading provider of Alternative Data, we deliver innovative products that power some of the most successful companies on Wall Street. We welcome you to join us in our journey, as we continue to redefine the investment landscape.
The Alternative Data group is currently seeking a Data Engineer to join our team. In this role, you work alongside other Data Engineers in processing large quantities of unstructured and semi-structured data through a combination of organized analytical thinking, technical data wrangling, manual curation and precise documentation. You will work closely with our data partners and Data Science team to understand, extract, transform, load, and perform preliminary analyses on our newest data - ensuring completeness, timeliness, quality, reliability, and more. Note that this is an applied role with the vast majority of the individual's time spent assessing data and aiding team members in doing the same.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Work closely with our data partners in the initial onboarding and assessment of new data sources
· Structure and format data to the specifications defined by our Data Science team
· Ingest additional data from 3rd party sources (vendors, public websites, etc)
· Learn and apply NLP and other ML/AI technologies to structure and label textual data
· Creating software tooling and automation to improve the team's output
Qualifications and Skills
The ideal candidate is an aspiring Data Engineer with a proven track record of ingenuity and success.
· 2+ years experience in data engineering and analysis
· Experience in data engineering, data pipelines, and tooling
· Demonstrated knowledge of exploratory data analysis/mining with large datasets
· Proficient in Python, SQL, AWS (S3, EC2), linux, shell scripting
· Proficient in ingesting data from a multitude of sources (FTP, EC2, REST API, etc), in a wide range of formats (CSV, JSON, AVRO, parquet, etc), and with common modifications (compression, encryption, etc).
· Experience in the capital markets or financial services industry is preferred
· Experience with Databricks/pyspark, NLP, and ML/AI is a plus
· Experience with Mechanical Turk and UpWork is a plus
· Hardworking, intellectually curious, and able to excel in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics/Statistics, Finance, Computer Science, Engineering or related Field.
Benefits and Perks
· A competitive salary and incentives
· Exciting and meaningful problems to work on
· Colleagues who are smart, motivated, hardworking and a pleasure to work with
· Health benefits for yourself and your family
· Your choice of hardware/software setup
· A flexible, hybrid work schedule
A beautiful, newly renovated downtown office filled with sunlight and perks
Come as You Are
Nasdaq is an equal opportunity employer. We positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, color, disability, national origin, ancestry, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.