2023 Intern – Responsible & Inclusive Technologies Sr Researcher
IBM Research Scientists are charting the future of Artificial Intelligence, creating breakthroughs in quantum computing, discovering how blockchain will reshape the enterprise, and much more. Join a team that is dedicated to applying science to some of today’s most complex challenges, whether it’s discovering a new way for doctors to help patients, teaming with environmentalists to clean up our waterways or enabling retailers to personalize customer service.
Your Role and Responsibilities
At IBM Research, we invent things that matter to the world. Today, we are pioneering the most promising and disruptive technologies that will transform industries and society, including the future of AI, Cloud and Quantum Computing. We are driven to discover. With more than 3,000 researchers in 12 labs located across six continents, IBM Research is one of the world’s largest and most influential corporate research labs.
We are seeking candidates with proven interest in developing and/or implementing frameworks, methods, tools, policies, or strategies that catalyze responsible and inclusive innovation. You will work in close collaboration with researchers addressing how the technologies we create and use impacts us, our communities and the world. We explore intersections and dynamics of social factors including ethnicity, gender identity, and class, inform both scientific and business practice, and also influence the ways that we create technical solutions.
You desire to work in a fast-paced research environment in close collaboration with world-class researchers, engineers, and designers to create applications, resources, and processes in support of the Responsible & Inclusive Technologies research agenda.
Candidates should have basic knowledge in one or more of the following skills:
Working or basic knowledge of a technology, technical method, or tech application (e.g., machine learning, natural language processing, hybrid cloud, quantum computing, biotech) is helpful but not required
Candidates must be willing to work in any of the following locations:
Yorktown Heights, NY
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Enrollment in degree in one of the following fields or a relevant field: Applied philosophy or ethics, science & technology studies, anthropology, human computer interaction, public policy, business, international of global studies informatics and computer science.
- Ability to think strategically and openly abut ways to address fundamental challenges in the advancement of responsible and inclusive technology innovation.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
We are looking for candidates with one or more of the following skills:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in environments at the intersections between business, technology, and society.
- Interest in or experience working in interdisciplinary and collaborative groups or teams
- Experience developing risk or impact assessments areoun social and civic issues in any domain related to science and technology
- Experience creating qualitative or quantitative metrics to measure and track complex, dynamic, ad longitudinal social, behavioral, or infrastructural change.
- Experience developing best practices, guideline, or standards of practice within your field or for a specific use-case application.
- Experience creating short term or long tern mitigation strategies for technical of business communities or for specific use-case, including developing and applying mitigation goals, actions and corrective action plans (and measuring their success.
- Experience distilling complex topics to understandable and consumable information for a wide variety of audiences.
- Experience designing or conducting pilots for user interfaces, technical tools, or living document frameworks.
- Experience translating technical, user and societal requirement into prototypes and/or technical applications.
- Experience defining and applying ethical principles within a tech environment.
- Experience building divers, inter disciplinary, and cross-industry collaborations, workshops, or consortia
- Experience creating and implementing resource adoption strategies at scale.
- Experience conducting semi-structured interviews in large and small groups.
- Experience with qualitative or quantitative thematic coding of text or video.
- Willingness to learn or adapt to new tools and technigues outside one’s primary field.
IBM Research is the organic growth engine of IBM and an innovation engine for our customers and partners. As part of this mission, IBM Research anticipates and examines ‘What’s Next in Computing’ to ultimately create and integrate the technologies the world relies upon to solve big challenges and unlock new opportunities. We create and pioneer new markets for IBM, our partners and customers as exemplified in our ongoing quest to reach practical and large-scale quantum computing. Across IBM Research, we realize the power and potential to accelerate discovery with our partners and clients by combining the power of high performance computing, AI, and Quantum, all integrated through the hybrid cloud.
This job requires you to provide your COVID-19 vaccination status with supporting documentation, where legally permissible.
Are you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world’s most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it’s time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities.
Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change – to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone.
It’s time to define your career.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.
Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business.
At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
Supplemental 1 employees may be eligible for paid holidays, paid sick time and Employee Stock Purchase Plan.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.